Turmeric Lemon Rice is a colorful and versatile side dish.
I’ve mentioned before that I’m not one to jump on food trend bandwagons and so this is actually my very first recipe that contains turmeric. To be honest the turmeric is as much included for its color as its taste because I figured a rice that is more yellow would look more like a delightful lemon rice.
I was inspired to create this turmeric lemon rice as a side dish for the Asian Maple Sausage Meatballs I’m sharing today as well (along with a re-cap of my lunch with some Ohio Pork famers). Lemon goes so well with maple. The subtle citrusy bite of this rice is just what is needed to compliment the sweet and slightly spicy maple sausage meatballs.
Rice is such a great grain to cook with because it can be flavored to accompany pretty much any food you can think of. This turmeric lemon rice would be great alongside pork chops or fish or could even be used as a base for some stir-fried vegetables.
But really this rice is amazing as I’m using it here – to soak up the drinkable sauce that goes along with these maple sausage meatballs. It’s a mixture of chili garlic sauce, pure maple syrup and soy sauce and WOW is it good!
Turmeric Lemon Rice
- 2 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 3 cups water
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat melt the butter.
- Stir in the turmeric, salt and rice. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, to toast the rice a bit.
- Add the water and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover the pan.
- Allow the rice to cook over low heat until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.