This Mexican Rice and Bean Soup is budget friendly and takes just about 20 minutes to make.
I love rice. It’s so versatile and it’s one of my favorite side dishes to make and serve. So I decided to turn it into a comforting weeknight soup. Mexican rice is basically just rice that has been toasted a bit and then flavored with some spice and tomato. I started with that basic premise and then added some black beans and chicken broth for this Mexican Rice and Bean Soup.
I was originally going to add chicken to this soup but I have so many meat-centered recipes that I decided to leave it out this time. This soup is perfect topped with shredded cheese and sour cream, with some chips and salsa on the side. For the pics I wanted to really show off the Mexican rice so I left off the toppings.
Tips for Mexican Rice and Bean Soup:
- To make this recipe vegan, simply replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth
- This is the brand of rice I always use – I really like the way it cooks
- Toasting the spices and rice before adding the liquid really amps up the flavor in this soup
- I like cooking rice in a pot with a glass lid so I can see the progress without having to remove the lid
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Mexican Rice and Bean Soup
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa I used Jardines Campfire Salsa
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Whisk in the tomato paste and cook for about one minute.
- Add the rice and all the seasonings (salt through cayenne pepper) and cook, stirring often, for several minutes.
- Reduce the heat a bit to avoid splattering and add the chicken broth, beans, lime juice and salsa. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Serve the soup immediately, topped with cheese and sour cream, if desired.
More soup recipes:
- Best Taco Soup
- Beer Cheese Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- The Best Lasagna Soup
- Instant Pot Turkey Taco Soup
- French Onion Chicken Soup