This Mexican Rice and Bean Soup is budget friendly and takes just about 20 minutes to make.
I love rice. It’s so versatile and it’s one of my favorite side dishes to make and serve. So I decided to turn it into a comforting weeknight soup. Mexican rice is basically just rice that has been toasted a bit and then flavored with some spice and tomato. I started with that basic premise and then added some black beans and chicken broth for this Mexican Rice and Bean Soup.
I was originally going to add chicken to this soup but I have so many meat-centered recipes that I decided to leave it out this time. This soup is perfect topped with shredded cheese and sour cream, with some chips and salsa on the side. For the pics I wanted to really show off the Mexican rice so I left off the toppings.
Tips for Mexican Rice and Bean Soup:
- To make this recipe vegan, simply replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth
- This is the brand of rice I always use – I really like the way it cooks
- Toasting the spices and rice before adding the liquid really amps up the flavor in this soup
- I like cooking rice in a pot with a glass lid so I can see the progress without having to remove the lid
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Mexican Rice and Bean Soup
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa I used Jardines Campfire Salsa
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Whisk in the tomato paste and cook for about one minute.
- Add the rice and all the seasonings (salt through cayenne pepper) and cook, stirring often, for several minutes.
- Reduce the heat a bit to avoid splattering and add the chicken broth, beans, lime juice and salsa. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Serve the soup immediately, topped with cheese and sour cream, if desired.
Mm… nothing better in winter than a bowl of warm soup. I love that this one can be adjusted to everyone’s liking and even vegans can enjoy it!
Thank you Julia!
I can never get enough mexican inspired recipes or soup! This looks like my kind of meal and easy to make as well!
Thank you Kathi!
Jacqueline Meldrum says
I just made a pot of soup too (carrot and red lentil), but I never think of adding rice. I am definitely going to try it. Thanks for the inspiration.
And I don’t use lentils often enough. You inspired me too!
I love rice too but you know I hardly ever put it in soup! I don’t know why, but I think I need to change that! Thanks for a great recipe!
You for sure should start adding rice to your soup. Tasty and economical!
What a delicious, flavorful soup idea! Can’t wait to give it a try!
How much rice ? It’s not listed under the ingredients.
1 cup. Not sure how I missed that before hitting publish. I’ve fixed the recipe card – thank you!
Great! Thank you – the soup looks delicious – I will be making it very soon!
Come back and let us know what you think. And again, thank you for catching my embarrassing recipe error! 🙂
Looks so delicious and comforting! Delicious and perfect for cold winter days!
It really is. And so quick to make!
Sally Humeniuk says
I love the ingredients in this soup! My son is vegetarian so I’ll substitute vegetable broth for him because this recipe is right up his alley. I also love TexMati brand rice. Thanks for the great post!
You’re welcome. Thank you for the rating and positive comment!
Love the idea of this, will be making this week!
So happy to hear this. Thank you Noelle!
The temperature has been super cold lately and I have been having one bean soup after another. I eat rice regularly, but I have never added them directly to my soup! Gotta start making rice soup now. Thanks for sharing.
Great, I hope you enjoy this soup. Thank you!
20 minutes to make plus there is a vegan option!!! This soup sounds so good! And it is a perfect day for a warm bowl of soup with all of the rain we are having today! Thank you for sharing.
You’re welcome. Glad you like the looks of this recipe!