A three-cheese blend and buttered pasta are mixed in with a veggie and meat-filled tomato sauce to create The Best Lasagna Soup.
I’ve been on a soup kick lately. This happens once the weather finally turns cold for the season. One of my favorite things to do (when I have time) is to shop the aisles of the grocery and get inspired to make something for the blog. This week I decided I was craving a lasagna soup.
Since I made the soup the night before I photographed it I made the soup separate from the noodles. And I decided I like this method better than one pot. A lasagna soup is still much less work than assembling a full lasagna. And boiling just enough pasta for your servings ensures al dente and not mushy or gluey pasta. I’ve found that leaving pasta in soup overnight makes a mushy mess. And then that just kills the opportunity for leftovers the next day.
So the soup portion is really hearty and delicious on its own. If you are doing “low carb” you can simply leave out the pasta! But don’t skip on the cheese mixture. Please don’t do that. For my cheese to mimic the filling of a traditional pan of lasagna, I chose a mix of large curd cottage cheese, grated Romano cheese and shredded Mozzarella. And then to really pump up the flavor I added in some lemon zest, black pepper and chopped fresh basil. Oh man, it is so good!
Tips for The Best Lasagna Soup Recipe:
- You can use any curly shaped pasta for this recipe. Or break up large lasagna noodles into larger pieces. I personally prefer the uniformity of smaller pasta like this.
- I like the lean, clean flavor of 99% fat free ground turkey in this lasagna soup. You can replace it with ground beef, sausage, or even veggie crumbles.
- Boiling the pasta separate from the soup makes the pasta taste better and keep its al dente texture. Also the pasta can be left out for those trying to eat less carbs in their diet.
- You can substitute the cottage cheese with ricotta. I personally prefer the taste and creamy texture of the cottage cheese.
- When cooking ground meat, this kitchen gadget is a must have.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
The Best Lasagna Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 yellow or sweet onion grated
- 1 zucchini grated
- 1 yellow pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 lb 99% fat free ground turkey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 15 oz can petit cut diced tomatoes drained
- 1 24 oz jar pasta sauce your favorite brand
- 2 - 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup large curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 12 oz pasta use your favorite curly pasta or broken lasagna noodles
- 2 tbsp butter
- Heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the grated onion and zucchini and cook for about 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid is cooked off.
- Add the yellow pepper and cook for about 2 minutes more.
- Add the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink. Break up the meat with a meat chopper or spoon or spatula as it is cooking.
- Season the vegetables and meat with the salt, garlic powder, smoked paprika and oregano.
- Stir in the tomatoes, pasta sauce and chicken broth. Use 2 or 3 cups of broth, depending on how thick or thin you like your soup.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer. Cover the soup and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- In a separate pot, bring water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta and stir in the butter to keep it from sticking. Cover the pot of pasta until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cottage cheese, Romano, and Mozzarella cheeses. Mix in the lemon zest, pepper and basil. Set aside.
- Ladle some soup into each bowl. Stir in some of the cooked, buttered pasta. Top each bowl of soup with a generous scoop of the cheese mixture. Serve.
More must make Soup recipes:
- Creamy Lemon Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- The Best Taco Soup
- Creamy Chicken Cacciatore Stew
- Beef Vegetable Soup
- Wicked Black Bean and Ghost Pepper Sausage Soup