These simply delicious chicken and dumplings have thousands of fans – this family-favorite dinner is my most popular recipe for 2018. The chicken stew takes help from a rotisserie chicken, but the dumplings are made from-scratch and practically fool-proof.
I think chicken and dumplings might be my favorite comfort food dish. It’s most definitely my son’s favorite. He has requested these simply delicious chicken and dumplings for his birthday dinner for the past few years, and I am always happy to make them for him. They are as simple as they are delicious because they start with a rotisserie chicken.
Watch how to make Simply Delicious Chicken and Dumplings:
I found the dumpling recipe here and thanks to reader comments used melted butter instead of oil and cooked them covered for 25 minutes. They turn out light and fluffy every time I make them.
Tips for making Simply Delicious Chicken and Dumplings:
- Purchase rotisserie chicken ahead if it’s on sale. Shred the chicken and place it in a freezer-safe zippered bag and freeze for up to one month. Then you’ll have chicken ready to go for whenever you want to make chicken and dumplings.
- Use a stock pot similar to this one to make your simply delicious chicken and dumplings. A glass lid helps to see the dumplings while they are cooking without having to remove the lid to peek.
- I use this cookie scoop to drop the dumplings into the pot.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Simply Delicious Chicken and Dumplings
These simply delicious chicken and dumplings have thousands of fans - this family-favorite dinner is my second most popular recipe on Pinterest. The chicken stew takes help from a rotisserie chicken, but the dumplings are made from-scratch and practically fool-proof!
- 1 rotisserie chicken white and dark meat shredded and skin removed
- 6 small carrots peeled and diced
- 3 ribs celery diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can cream of onion soup you can also use cream of chicken or cream of celery
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted
In a large stock pot over medium-high heat, melt the two tablespoons of butter and add the carrots, celery, onion, parsley and all the seasonings, salt through pepper. Cook until the vegetables are starting to soften, about 5 - 8 minutes.
Add the cream of onion soup, chicken stock and shredded rotisserie chicken. Stir well. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to a gentle simmer.
To make the dumplings, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Pour in the milk and the remaining four tablespoons of melted butter and stir together with a spatula until a smooth ball of dough forms.
Using a 1.5 tablespoon capacity cookie scoop, drop the dumpling batter balls into the simmering stew one at a time until all the dough has been used. The dough should make 15 dumplings.
Cover the pot and allow to cook (without uncovering) on a low simmer for 25 minutes.
More family favorite dinner recipes:
- Chicken Soft Tacos
- Make your own Pizza
- Taco Soup
- Simple Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Slow Cooker Turkey Hot Shot