My Mom’s recipe for Chicken Divan could not be more simple to make or more comforting to eat. Use a rotisserie chicken for quick prep.
Sometimes you just need Mom’s home cooking. And when you can’t have your Mom cook it for whatever reason then her recipe will have to do. I treasure the handwritten recipe cards I have from both my Mom and Grandma. When I make their recipes, I think about happy times with them. It’s almost like they are in the kitchen with me. I grew up eating this Chicken Divan. It was in my Mom’s regular rotation of dinners to fix. And I always loved it.
What is Chicken Divan?
Chicken Divan has its origin at the Chatham Hotel in New York City. It was a chicken casserole with broccoli served with a Mornay sauce. In the average household, it was simplified with a mayonnaise based sauce. I have taken my Mom’s handwritten recipe and made just a very few changes. Chicken, broccoli, a luscious white sauce and cheese make this divan dish divine.
How to Make Chicken Divan
This recipe is so simple to make. Shred the chicken. Stir it together with the microwaved broccoli florets. Add the sauce ingredients. Place the mixture into a casserole dish. Top it with bread crumbs and a bit of melted butter. Bake until bubbly. It is so good.
- This is the brand of frozen broccoli I use for this recipe
- Here’s how to cook rice – to serve as a side dish
- Mashed potatoes are also a good choice to serve with this Chicken Divan
- I use a casserole dish similar to this one for this recipe
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
- 1 rotisserie chicken white meat shredded (reserve dark meat for another recipe)
- 16 oz frozen broccoli florets
- 10 oz cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Microwave the broccoli florets according to package directions. Drain and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and one cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Fold in the shredded white meat chicken and the cooked broccoli.
- Spread the chicken mixture evenly into a greased casserole dish. Top the casserole with the remaining cup of cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle the top of the casserole evenly with the bread crumbs. Then drizzle the melted butter over the top.
- Bake the casserole, covered with foil, for 30 minutes. Uncover the dish and bake for 15 minutes more. Serve hot.
This looks amazing, I can’t wait to try it.
I think you’ll enjoy it!
This is so good! A comforting meal for my family!
Nart at Cooking with Nart says
I’m a big fan of chicken. Tried this and it was fantastic! Love the broccoli too!
Glad to hear this. Thanks for sharing!
I love this recipe for its simplicity! Delicious and so quickly made 🙂 Thank you for sharing!
You’re welcome. Thanks for the positive rating and review.
Madalaine Arrington says
Can this dish be frozen? Should it be cooked first?
I actually think you could freeze this before baking. I’ve not tried it myself, but I think it might work. Please report back!!
Can I use fresh broccoli?
You can but you’ll need to steam it first before putting it into the casserole. https://fitfoodiefinds.com/how-to-steam-broccoli/