I’ve made this Spinach Strawberry Salad so many times I’ve lost count. It’s always a crowd-pleaser. Fresh spinach, strawberries, goat cheese and sliced almonds are topped with a sweet and sour toasted sesame seed dressing.
Around the holidays especially I dust off my tried and true recipes for family and friends gatherings. This fresh spinach salad topped with strawberries and goat cheese is one of them. It’s an old Cooking Light recipe I found years ago and altered a bit to suit my personal tastes.
Is spinach strawberry salad healthy?
I think with the amount of sugar in the dressing that it can’t be considered healthy. I mean, it was originally a Cooking Light recipe so … maybe, sort of? Olive oil, fresh spinach and strawberries are definitely healthy. The toasted sesame seeds add wonderful flavor to the dressing but also amp up the calories. Regardless, this spinach strawberry salad is always a hit and so delicious. I wouldn’t eat it every day. But it is perfect for special occasions.
What goes with spinach strawberry salad?
I have several main dish recipes that pair perfectly with this salad. But if I had to choose the ultimate menu in which to include this salad it would be this…
Tips for making this salad:
- I always use a salad spinner like this one to wash my greens for salads.
- If you don’t like goat cheese you can skip it or replace it with feta cheese.
- Sometimes I’m able to purchase already toasted sesame seeds in the spice section – they don’t taste quite as good as toasting them yourself but it saves time.
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled. It’s terrific for serving to a large group.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Spinach Strawberry Salad
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds toasted
- 1 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups strawberries sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup goat cheese crumbled
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a jar; cover dressing tightly, and shake vigorously.
- Combine the spinach and strawberries in a large bowl and toss gently.
- Pour the dressing over the spinach mixture, tossing gently to coat.
- Evenly divide the dressed spinach and strawberry mixture onto each of six plates.
- Top the salad plates evenly with the sliced almonds and crumbled goat cheese.
More Strawberry Recipes:
- French Strawberry Cake
- Strawberry BBQ Sauce
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Grilled Strawberry Balsamic Pork Tenderloin
- White Chocolate Strawberry Mini Cheesecakes