Party Potatoes are the ultimate make-ahead mashed potatoes for all your holiday entertaining needs.
My Mom has always made these Party Potatoes for the holidays. They are a make-ahead dish which is super convenient for entertaining. And they are definitely not bland mashed potatoes.
The key is using fresh chives and a good quality smoked paprika. It really gives these potatoes a punch of flavor that you’ll love. Some make-ahead potato recipes I’ve seen call for an insane amount of heavy cream. These rely on just 8 ounces of cream cheese and 8 ounces of sour cream. They are not diet food by any means but a few calories saved here and there I think is always a good thing.
These potatoes are perfect to make the night before. Once you have placed them in the baking dish, cover them with plastic wrap and refrigerate. The next day, set them on the counter for about an hour to take the chill off. Then bake according to the recipe directions.
Serve these potatoes alongside your turkey, ham, roasted beef tenderloin, slow cooked pork chops or even grilled meats. They’re a recipe you want to have on-hand anytime of year but especially around the holidays. Trust me you don’t want to miss out on these Party Potatoes!
Pro Tip for Party Potatoes:
- After boiling the potatoes, run them through a potato ricer to make them extra light and fluffy before mixing the mashed potatoes with the rest of the ingredients.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
- 8 cups mashed potatoes about 8 - 10 russet potatoes
- 8 tbsp butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1/3 cup fresh chives chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with one tablespoon of butter.
- In a large bowl mix together the prepared mashed potatoes with six tablespoons of the butter, cream cheese, sour cream, salt, smoked paprika and pepper. Fold in the chopped chives.
- Transfer the party potatoes to the prepared baking dish. Dot the top with the remaining one tablespoon of butter.
- At this point you can cover the dish with plastic wrap and store overnight in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and remove the plastic wrap. Bake the potatoes for 50 - 60 minutes.