Classic chicken and dumplings gets a tasty makeover with a little heat in this Southwest Chicken and Dumplings Recipe.
So many people have made and loved my recipe for classic chicken dumplings. It’s sometimes overwhelming to me! Since that recipe is so popular I decided to take it in a different but still delicious direction by creating a Southwestern inspired version of chicken and dumplings.
The original dumpling recipe I used in my simply delicious chicken and dumplings is practically fool proof and so flavorful. So I stuck with that same recipe but replaced some of the flour with cornmeal and added just a touch of sugar – because I personally prefer my cornbread on the sweeter side. These dumplings have a cornbread taste, but they still rise in the steam to be light and fluffy on the inside.
I thought about making chicken chili for the base but I decided that I didn’t like the idea of beans with the dumplings. So instead my soup base for the cornbread dumplings is more similar to a chicken and corn chowder. Salsa verde, rotisserie chicken and Campbell’s nacho cheese soup make this recipe convenient to make on a busy night. But the homemade dumplings really make this dish taste like you slaved over the stove for much longer to create it.
Tips for Southwest Chicken and Dumplings Recipe:
- Use your favorite brand of green salsa for this recipe. I used this brand.
- I use this cookie scoop to measure and drop my dumplings into the soup.
- I like the heat that the cayenne pepper adds to this dish. But if you don’t like spice, leave it out.
- I use a soup pot similar to this one to make the chicken and dumplings.
- Leftovers of these Southwest Chicken and Dumplings reheat well.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Southwest Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
For the Soup:
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and finely chopped
- 12 oz. Salsa Verde use your favorite jarred brand
- 1 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 10 oz can Campbell's nacho cheese soup
- 1 15 oz can white corn drained
- 4 cups chicken stock
For the Dumplings:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 tbsp butter
For the Soup:
- Remove the skin and bones from the rotisserie chicken and discard. Shred the meat and set aside until ready to add to the soup.
- In a 6 or 8 quart stock pot heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until starting to soften, stirring occasionally, for 6 or 7 minutes.
- Add the salsa verde, ancho chile powder, salt and cayenne pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the shredded chicken and cook for a few minutes.
- Stir in the nacho cheese soup, white corn and chicken stock. Stir well and bring the soup to a gentle simmer.
For the dumplings:
- Add the milk and butter to a microwave-safe measuring cup and microwave for about 90 seconds, until butter melted.
- In a clean bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Add the warm butter and milk mixture to the flour and cornmeal mixture and stir with a spatula until a smooth dough is formed.
- Into the simmering soup, drop the dumplings by rounded scoops (about 1 1/2 tablespoons each) so they are evenly floating on top of the soup.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the soup pot with a lid and allow the dumplings to steam for 25 minutes. No peeking!
- Serve the soup with sour cream and shredded cheese to top.
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes:
- Follow my Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes board HERE.
- Simply Delicious Chicken and Dumplings
- Creamy Lemon Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Sandwiches
- Simple Chicken Burrito Bowls