These Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Sandwiches have a fresh tomato flavor even when tomatoes aren’t in season. Slow cooked Italian-flavored chicken is piled high on toasty garlic bread with melted Provolone cheese and fresh chopped basil.
I think I was on strike from fixing chicken for dinner for a while. I’ve been finding all kinds of inspiration for chicken dinners on Pinterest lately though and my family’s current favorite dinner is Chicken Burrito Bowls so I think it’s safe to say that my strike is over. For sure these Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Sandwiches will be making a repeat performance on our dinner table – and not just in the colder months.
Speaking of cold our Springtime here in Ohio seems to be one false start after another. As I type this post I’m wearing a fleece jacket and snuggled up under a fuzzy blanket on a cold morning… in April. It’s not that I’m complaining necessarily because I’m really not a fan of the super hot and humid weather we get during the Summer. The weather is just so weird that it’s throwing me off – like my brain just doesn’t know what to plan for and I’m having a hard time adjusting.
Anyway the plan for these chicken sandwiches at least worked. They turned out better than I could have ever possibly hoped, actually. I don’t know if I was just craving a good sandwich but these really hit the spot. The fresh basil stirred into the chicken right before serving is the “secret” ingredient to these scrumptious sandwiches. For slow cooked chicken I was really surprised by how truly lively and bright the taste is!
Tips for making Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Sandwiches:
- Look for sales on chicken breasts – purchase extra and freeze for future recipes
- A 6-quart slow cooker is plenty big for this recipe
- I use this brand of garlic bread for my sandwich bread
- Make open-faced sandwiches to save on calories
- Add the chopped, fresh basil right before serving – otherwise it will turn black and look unappealing
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup good Italian dressing I used Newman's Own brand
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 15 oz can petite cut diced tomatoes drained
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
- 8 slices frozen garlic bread
- Place the chicken breasts in a 6-quart slow cooker. Pour the drained tomatoes on top of the chicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Italian dressing, tomato paste, sugar, salt and red pepper flakes. Pour the mixture over the chicken and tomatoes.
- Put the lid on and cook on LOW for 6 hours. Shred the chicken and turn the slow cooker to WARM.
- Bake the garlic bread according to package directions. Place one piece of provolone cheese on each of four slices of bread during the last minute of baking time so the cheese can melt.
- Stir the fresh chopped basil into the shredded Italian chicken. Pile the chicken on top of the cheesy garlic bread slices. Top with the remaining garlic bread slices to make four sandwiches and serve.
More must-make chicken recipes:
- Grilled Lemon Chicken Alfredo
- Chicken Soft Tacos
- Chicken Piccata Casserole
- Chicken Marsala Casserole
- Chicken Cacciatore Stew