Grilled Lemon Chicken Alfredo takes help from the grill for both the chicken and the fresh lemon used in the Alfredo sauce for a fresh and bright twist on a classic.
Have you ever tried a grilled lemon? My neighbor turned me on to them last year and I am hooked. So when I ran across this recipe using a grilled lemon as part of a lemony Alfredo sauce I knew I needed to use it for inspiration. I dare say that now I’ve made this Grilled Lemon Chicken Alfredo I may never go back to just plain old Chicken Alfredo ever again.
There’s something about the lemon cutting through the richness of the butter, cream and cheese that just works. Bright citrus always work well with heavy, fatty flavors. And grilling the lemon before using the juice just makes it even better. If you’ve never tried a grilled lemon taste it first before adding it to your sauce. You will be amazed by the flavor the grill gives – deepening and sweetening the tart lemon enough so that you can actually taste it without risking a pucker.
I’m telling you, add this to your meal plan right now. A lemony pasta dish topped with grilled chicken is such a good meal to welcome Spring with. Can warmer weather still inspire comfort foods? If so I think I’ve found my new comfort food in this dish.
Tips for Grilled Lemon Chicken Alfredo:
- Get the chicken marinating before prepping the other ingredients – shredding cheese, mincing garlic, warming the pasta water, chopping parsley
- Use a wedge of Parmesan and freshly grate it for the best flavor
- I use a microplane grater like THIS ONE to grate hard cheeses like Parmesan
- Grill the chicken to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F
- I use THIS instant read digital thermometer to make sure my meat is safe to remove from the grill
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Grilled Lemon Chicken Alfredo
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 large lemon cut in half
- 12 oz fettuccini pasta
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated and divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Heat a grill on high. Keep one side on high and then set the other side to low heat. Scrape the grates clean if necessary.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, 1 1/2 tsp salt, sugar, garlic powder, oregano and 1 tsp red pepper flakes. Add the chicken breasts and the lemon (cut side down) to the marinade and allow to marinate for at least 20 minutes, turning the chicken a few times to coat.
- Grill the chicken starting on the hot side of the grill for about 5 minutes. Flip and continue to cook on the low heat side of the grill until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Remove the chicken to a plate and tent with foil until ready to slice and serve.
- Place the lemon halves on the hot side of the grill, cut side down, and grill for about 5 minutes. Remove the lemon halves from the grill and set on a plate, cut side up, until ready to use.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking heat a large sauce pan over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the clove of garlic and cook for about one minute until fragrant.
- Squeeze the juice from the grilled lemons into the butter and garlic mixture.
- Stir in the cream and cook until simmering. Stir about 3/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, salt and red pepper flakes into the lemon cream. Stir until cheese is melted and turn heat to low.
- Drain the pasta except for about 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. Stir the reserved pasta water into the Alfredo sauce and add the pasta to the pan, tossing to coat the pasta with the Alfredo sauce.
- Transfer the grilled lemon Alfredo pasta to a large serving bowl and top with the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
- Slice the grilled chicken and place on top of the pasta to serve.
Christina Shoemaker says
I adore grilled lemon and I bet it pairs beautifully with the alfredo! This is such a satisfying dish my whole family would love!!
Thank you Christina!
Haley Williams says
I absolutely love lemon chicken in pasta. I’ve never made it with alfredo sauce, but I’m sure it will taste fantastic!
Thanks Haley – it really is delicious
Dawn - Girl Heart Food says
This looks so good!!! Love that char on the lemon too. This, crusty bread and vino and I’m set 🙂
Yes, the wine is a must!
Dawn - Girl Heart Food says
Too quick on the trigger, meant to rate this deliciousness 😉 Too yummy!
Wow! Just wow! I don’t go usually go for the Alfredo sauce because, like you say, it’s so heavy! I am totally trying this! Great recipe!
Thanks so much Beth 🙂
Edyta at Innocent Delight says
This chicken looks fantastic. I love the grill marks. I met it tastes amazing with grilled lemon.
Thank you Edyta!
With you all the way ! Pinning ! Thank you !
Veena Azmanov says
mmm this Grilled Lemon Chicken Alfredo looks incredible! I adore the chicken. I like all the ingredients that are included in this recipe. It really looks very tasty! I think it’s perfect for dinner. I definitely want to try this! Thank you for sharing this great recipe!
You’re welcome and thank you for the great comments!
This sounds and looks yum. I love lemon chicken. This lemon chicken Alfredo is worth a try. Yum yum
Thank you Chichi!
Never grilled a lemon before, but I really like the sound and look of it! Definitely will be trying this as soon as the weather improves and BBQ season is open!
Grilled lemons are a revelation. I’m really looking forward to the weather improving around here as well!
So good! I would love a serving of this meal.
I hope you make it soon!
Simply reading the ingredients and instructions is making my mouth salivate! Love the freshness of lemon and the richness of garlic butter sauce! What is here not to like 😊!
My thoughts exactly! Thanks for the rating and great comment 🙂
Well this looks like my new favorite summer dish! I love pasta alfredo sooo much…and grilled chicken…and lemon. You’re singing my favorite song! Thanks for sharing 🙂
You are so welcome. Thank you for the rating and comment Traci!
Ashley S. says
I been looking for this recipe! Back in the days Olive Garden use to do this now the food taste bland. So glad I found this recipe I will be making this one day this week maybe today and leave another review! See if my memory’s are triggered 😋
Glad to help 🙂