This lemon cream pasta primavera combines all the freshness of Spring in one quick to make and family-pleasing main dish.
I was craving pasta and veggies and this is what I made. You can customize this meal with whatever vegetables you like. The ones I chose – peas, zucchini, asparagus tips and red pepper – were finished cooking in the pan within five minutes. This dinner can be on your table in no time!
I like making homemade Alfredo sauce but it’s a rare treat because it’s so heavy and full of calories. This lemon cream sauce is similar but much lighter – made with fat free half and half and whipped cream cheese. The fresh lemon, basil and garlic give the sauce a really bright and sunny flavor which is the perfect compliment to the fresh, sauteed veggies.
I thought about adding bacon at the end but decided to stay with the light and healthy vibe this time. Though I think a little sprinkling of crisp bacon on top might make this pasta dish even more appealing to kids who don’t always do backflips about eating their vegetables. What are some of your favorite meals to make when Spring rolls around?
Lemon Cream Pasta Primavera
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 red pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 small zucchini sliced
- 1 cup asparagus tips
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup fat free half and half
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/3 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 8 oz fettuccini pasta cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- In a large, non-stick skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add all the vegetables and saute until just starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan to a clean bowl and set aside.
- Return the same pan to heat and melt the butter. Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add the cream, lemon juice, cream cheese, salt and pepper.
- Stir sauce until smooth and bubbling.
- Add the cooked vegetables back to the sauce.
- Add the cooked fettuccini to the sauce and vegetable mixture. Toss to combine.
- Top the pasta with fresh basil and serve immediately.