The original post for these Chicken Soft Tacos appeared on my blog back in 2012. The chicken deserved better photos to show it off!
I hadn’t made this recipe for chicken soft tacos in quite a while. But now it’s going back in our regular dinner rotation. I have not ever eaten a better chicken taco. Which is amazing considering the kind of odd list of ingredients that are used.
I found the original recipe here. This chicken is flavored with butter, garlic, fresh orange juice, Worcestershire sauce, chipotle sauce and yellow mustard. Seriously. It’s not a list you’d expect to find in a Mexican dish. But it works so well!
I actually tried to convert this recipe for the slow cooker a while back. With pretty disastrous results. The recipe is perfect as is. Which means you can have these tasty tacos on your dinner table in about 30 minutes, from start to finish.
My whole family loves these tacos. And the leftover chicken is great for packing in lunches too. Next time I make it I’m going to double the recipe so that I have plenty of extra chicken.
Chicken Soft Tacos
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp chipotle chiles in adobo sauce minced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- salt and pepper
- 12 4-inch flour tortillas
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and chipotle and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in orange juice, Worcestershire, and 1/2 cup cilantro and bring to boil.
- Add chicken and simmer, covered, over medium-low heat until meat registers 160 degrees, 10 to 15 minutes, flipping chicken halfway through cooking. Transfer to plate and tent with foil.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 5 minutes.
- Off heat, whisk in mustard.
- Using 2 forks, shred chicken into bite-sized pieces and return to skillet.
- Add remaining cilantro to skillet and toss until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with tortillas, shredded lettuce, sour cream, salsa, cheese and lime wedges.
Joyce Geng says
sounds so good………..I love Mexican food, too and am the only one in my house who does! This looks tasty and easy! Thank you!
I love unique flavor combos like this. It sounds great. And tacos are always a good idea!
Yes, tacos are never a bad idea 🙂
It looks yummy! I shall have to try this or I’ll never stop thinking about those ingredients! 🙂
Luci's Morsels says
These look amazing and I love how simple they are to make. I am having some serious dinner envy right now and cannot wait to try these. Thank you for sharing! Luci’s Morsels | fashion. food. frivolity.
You are welcome. I hope you try them and let us know what you think 🙂
Bintu - Recipes From A Pantry says
Everyone loves a good taco recipe, and these look totally delicious
Thank you so much Bintu!
The flavours you have here sound truly scrumptious – the orange juice in particular. And I am starting to go back and reshoot my most popular posts too. Your new images are just beautiful 🙂
Thank you so much for the positive comments Kellie. I really appreciate it!
It would be handy to add the cilantro to the ingredient list, seems to have been left out.
Thanks for catching that. I’ve been updating older recipes – I made a mistake when editing this one. I have fixed it now!
This is seriously the best thing I’ve ever eaten! Soooo yummy!
I’m so thrilled you think so. Thanks!!