The original post for these Chicken Soft Tacos appeared on my blog back in 2012. The chicken deserved better photos to show it off!
I hadn’t made this recipe for chicken soft tacos in quite a while. But now it’s going back in our regular dinner rotation. I have not ever eaten a better chicken taco. Which is amazing considering the kind of odd list of ingredients that are used.
I found the original recipe here. This chicken is flavored with butter, garlic, fresh orange juice, Worcestershire sauce, chipotle sauce and yellow mustard. Seriously. It’s not a list you’d expect to find in a Mexican dish. But it works so well!
I actually tried to convert this recipe for the slow cooker a while back. With pretty disastrous results. The recipe is perfect as is. Which means you can have these tasty tacos on your dinner table in about 30 minutes, from start to finish.
My whole family loves these tacos. And the leftover chicken is great for packing in lunches too. Next time I make it I’m going to double the recipe so that I have plenty of extra chicken.
Chicken Soft Tacos
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp chipotle chiles in adobo sauce minced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- salt and pepper
- 12 4-inch flour tortillas
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and chipotle and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in orange juice, Worcestershire, and 1/2 cup cilantro and bring to boil.
- Add chicken and simmer, covered, over medium-low heat until meat registers 160 degrees, 10 to 15 minutes, flipping chicken halfway through cooking. Transfer to plate and tent with foil.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 5 minutes.
- Off heat, whisk in mustard.
- Using 2 forks, shred chicken into bite-sized pieces and return to skillet.
- Add remaining cilantro to skillet and toss until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with tortillas, shredded lettuce, sour cream, salsa, cheese and lime wedges.