Simple Chicken Burrito Bowls use help from a rotisserie chicken for a family favorite dinner when you don’t feel like cooking.
I think it’s safe to say that my family is addicted to these Simple Chicken Burrito Bowls. These are probably not so much a recipe as an assembly of familiar ingredients. But for anyone who enjoys Mexican food it’s a familiar dinner that really doesn’t feel like cooking. Plus the rice base mixed with beans and corn is economical and at least a little more nutritious (I’m sure a few less calories) than loading up a big flour tortilla with traditional burrito fillings.
My daughter came home from swim practice last night and saw the familiar fixings and exclaimed she was had been hoping we’d have the burrito bowls for dinner again. We all love this meal and we can all customize our own bowl with whatever toppings we want. Three of us like jalapeños – which I’ve pictured. Hannah isn’t so much into spicy flavors yet so she prefers fresh avocado on top of her burrito bowl.
Tips for making Simple Chicken Burrito Bowls:
- If possible I purchase a Costco rotisserie chicken which are large and only $5 per chicken – one of these chickens will make two full dinners – freeze the rest of the chicken for later
- A smaller rotisserie chicken (like from Kroger) is enough for one dinner (four people) – I use both the white and dark meat
- Pour the chicken juices that collect in the bottom of the rotisserie chicken bag over the shredded chicken – it adds flavor
- I use THIS skillet sauce to flavor my chicken, beans and corn for these burrito bowls
- THESE containers are ideal to package any leftovers for lunches the next day
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Simple Chicken Burrito Bowls
Simple Chicken Burrito Bowls use help from a rotisserie chicken for a family favorite dinner when you don't feel like cooking.
- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained
- 1 15 oz can corn drained
- 1 8 oz packet Key Lime Cilantro Taco Skillet Sauce or use your favorite brand/flavor
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup white (or brown) rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp taco sauce I use Taco Bell brand
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce shredded
- 1 avocado diced
- 4 lime wedges
- 6 oz medium cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 oz can sliced jalapeños drained
In a large sauce pan add the shredded chicken, black beans, corn and Taco skillet sauce. Mix well, cover and heat over medium low heat until simmering.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a separate sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the rice and cook, stirring often, for a couple of minutes until rice is starting to toast. Add the water, salt and taco sauce and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer the rice for 15 - 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
For the bowls, add a generous scoop of rice and top with the chicken, beans and corn mixture. Top with your choice of shredded lettuce, diced avocado, lime wedge, shredded cheese, sour cream and sliced jalapeños. Serve immediately.
More recipes for our favorite family dinners:
- Best Taco Soup
- Simply Delicious Chicken and Dumplings
- Make your own Pizza
- Slow Cooker Turkey Hot Shot
- Slow Cooker Short Ribs
- Slow Cooker Cincinnati Chili