Simple Chicken Burrito Bowls use help from a rotisserie chicken for a family favorite dinner when you don’t feel like cooking.
It is safe to say my family is addicted to these Simple Chicken Burrito Bowls. They are not so much a recipe as an assembly of familiar ingredients. This is a dinner that really doesn’t feel like cooking. The rice mixed with beans and corn is economical and at least a little more nutritious than loading up a big flour tortilla with traditional burrito fillings. And the key to a great burrito bowl starts with perfectly cooked rice.
Learn how to cook perfect rice on the stove:
My whole family loves this meal and we can all customize our own bowl with whatever toppings we want. Three of us like jalapeños – which I have pictured. My daughter isn’t so much into spicy flavors yet so she prefers fresh avocado on top of her burrito bowl.
Tips for making Simple Chicken Burrito Bowls:
- If possible I purchase a Costco rotisserie chicken which are large and only $5 per chicken – one of these chickens will make two full dinners – freeze the rest of the chicken for later
- A smaller rotisserie chicken (like from Kroger) is enough for one dinner (four people) – I use both the white and dark meat
- Pour the chicken juices that collect in the bottom of the rotisserie chicken bag over the shredded chicken – it adds flavor
- I use THIS skillet sauce to flavor my chicken, beans and corn for these burrito bowls
- THESE containers are ideal to package any leftovers for lunches the next day
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Simple Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained
- 1 15 oz can corn drained
- 1 8 oz packet Key Lime Cilantro Taco Skillet Sauce or use your favorite brand/flavor
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup white (or brown) rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp taco sauce I use Taco Bell brand
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce shredded
- 1 avocado diced
- 4 lime wedges
- 6 oz medium cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 oz can sliced jalapeños drained
- In a large sauce pan add the shredded chicken, black beans, corn and Taco skillet sauce. Mix well, cover and heat over medium low heat until simmering.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a separate sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the rice and cook, stirring often, for a couple of minutes until rice is starting to toast. Add the water, salt and taco sauce and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer the rice for 15 - 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
- For the bowls, add a generous scoop of rice and top with the chicken, beans and corn mixture. Top with your choice of shredded lettuce, diced avocado, lime wedge, shredded cheese, sour cream and sliced jalapeños. Serve immediately.
More Rice Recipes:
- How to Cook Rice
- Greek Rice Salad
- Mexican Rice and Bean Soup
- Easy Fried Rice
- Grilled Carne Asada Burrito Bowls
- Greek Chicken Rice Bowls
Neriz @ food and journeys says
Thank you so much for this recipe! Other than eating it on its own, I only use rotisserie chicken with fried rice. This is an entirely different flavour base. 🙂
You’re welcome, I hope you try them!
Christina Shoemaker says
I eat burrito bowls at least three times a week for lunch! No joke! They’re so easy and full of flavor! Yours sounds absolutely perfect and I’ll definitely be giving it a try!
I can believe it. They are filling, satisfying and you can change them up even though you are technically eating the same basic recipe!
Annemarie @ justalittlebitofbacon says
Rotisserie chickens are such great ways to make a tasty and easy meal! And using a base of rice and beans instead of a fried tortilla shell is a great idea to make the meal more balanced and healthy. Thanks for the family-friendly idea.
Mexican for dinner is our favorite and I love that it only takes about 30 minutes to prep. Thanks for the great dinner idea
Thank you for sharing your recipe, I love to serve burritos on weeknights, so quick, easy and healthy.
Emma @ Supper in the Suburbs says
This looks delicious. It’s good to have such a quick and easy dinner recipe to hand!
It is! Thank you!
Veena Azmanov says
Wow, this Simple Chicken Burrito Bowls looks incredible! This is the perfect recipe for me and my family. Looks very tasty. I definitely want to try this recipe, and I’m sure it will be very tasty. Thank you for sharing this great recipe. YUM!
Thanks very much Veena 🙂
Who needs to go out for a fast food version of this, when you can make this at home? I love how simple this is with a rotisserie chicken. What a great family meal!
Thank you so much Vicky!
Sarah Mir says
This may sound nutty coming from a food blogger, but I don’t cook on Thursdays at all and love meals like this for those days. Pinning this to try soon!
Doesn’t sound nutty at all. Cooking for a living means I don’t always want to cook in “real life” 🙂
Looks great!!! This is the kind of meal that I make on the weekends but I was just thinking about burritos so maybe I need to whip one up today. I love burrito bowls and I don’t even miss the tortillas.
Thank you April. We don’t miss the tortillas either!
Karen @ Seasonal Cravings says
Love how simple these are. I can see us eating these once a week if not more. Plus I could keep the fixings around and the kids could make them themselves.
So true. I love that as my kids get older they can start to feed themselves. I just have to stock the fridge and pantry!
Mary Bostow says
I made this tonight. It was absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing.
This makes me so happy to hear. You’re welcome 🙂
Yum! I love getting burrito bowls at Chipotle or Qdoba, but rarely try making them myself – this looks like a super tasty and easy recipe!
Yes! Our Chipotle is constantly crowded. These homemade burrito bowls actually feel like way less hassle than going out.
Kelly Anthony says
This will make the perfect week day meal. I love how healthy this chicken burrito bowl is and also how I can put it together quickly.
Quick and healthy for a win!
Veena Azmanov says
This is such a perfect and flavorful and delicious Bowl. Looks so picture perfect too. Would love to grab it for Dinner.
Thank you Veena, I appreciate the compliments.