Greek Chicken Rice Bowls are an easy weeknight dinner or a meal prep idea for lunches throughout the week.
We’re a big fan of rice bowls in our house. I think it’s because I set out the constructs of the bowls and each family member can build their own. My 13 year old son goes heavy on the carbs, light on the veggies. My 11 year old daughter goes heavy on the protein and vegetables and just loves rice in general. You get the idea. So I decided to create a recipe for Greek Chicken Rice Bowls to change things up on nights we don’t feel like Mexican.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
The secret to a great rice bowl of course starts with the rice. I’m so confident in my rice cooking abilities that I wrote a whole post about it here. Even in my renovated kitchen I don’t have the space for a bunch of one-use appliances. I never use a rice cooker. I cook rice on my stove top.
Watch How to Cook Rice:
The primary topping for these Greek Chicken Rice Bowls is kind of a cross between a tabbouleh and Greek vinaigrette (with some feta cheese mixed in). I totally made it up and it’s really tasty. More importantly it’s quick and easy to throw together.
Tips for Greek Chicken Rice Bowls:
- Keep sliced chicken (rotisserie or poached) on-hand to make even quicker work of this recipe from start to finish.
- Purchase pitted kalamata olives from the fresh bar at your local grocery store.
- Individual hummus containers are great for packing in lunches and great for topping these rice bowls.
- Serve the components of these rice bowls separately and allow everyone to construct/top their own.
- This is the brand of rice I use in this recipe.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Greek Chicken Rice Bowls
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup rice
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 lb cooked chicken breast poached or from a rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup prepared hummus
- 20 kalamata olilves pitted
- 1 tomato seeded and chopped
- 1/4 red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- lemon wedges for serving
- pita bread or naan dippers for serving
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the rice and sauté, stirring constantly, for about one minute. Add the water, lemon juice, one teaspoon of salt and dried parsley. Bring the water to a boil. Reduce to simmer. Cover the pan and simmer until the rice is fluffy and the water is fully absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- In a clean bowl, combine the chopped tomato, red onion, parsley, feta cheese, olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey and remaining salt. Stir well to combine.
- Assemble the rice bowls: divide the rice evenly among four bowls. Top each rice bowl with cooked chicken, kalamata olives and hummus. Then pour the feta dressing evenly over the rice bowls. Serve the bowls with lemon wedges and pita or naan bread.