Soup does not have to be complicated to taste great. This Beef Vegetable Soup uses a lot of help from cans but still tastes homemade.
I originally posted this recipe for Beef Vegetable Soup three years ago but have since made adjustments to the recipe. The point of making a quick and delicious beef vegetable soup with leftover shredded beef is for it to be simple. Inexplicably my original recipe called for peeling and slicing a bag of whole carrots. There’s not a lot of skill involved with that but it does take some time.
Recently I had some leftover shredded beef from cooking and photographing recipes for this post and so I decided to overhaul this beef vegetable soup recipe. All the vegetables except for the onion are canned. This cuts down on prep and cooking time. Meaning you can have this hearty soup on the table for your family in just about 20 minutes. And it tastes way better than opening soup from a can – trust me.
Tips for making Beef Vegetable Soup:
- Keep canned vegetables on hand in the pantry for busy nights
- A frozen container of shredded beef (see recipe here) can easily be thawed in the soup broth – so it’s OK if you forget to take the meat out of the freezer in the morning
- If you cannot find beef consommé, substitute it with a small can (15 oz) of beef broth but try to find the consommé
- Reheat leftover soup and send it in a thermos for school lunches
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this collection of recipes!
Beef Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 sweet onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can (10 oz) beef consommé
- 2 cups leftover cooked shredded beef (pot roast)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 oz) cut green beans drained
- 1 can (15 oz) sliced carrots drained
- 1 can (15 oz) corn drained
- 1 can (15 oz) petite cut diced tomatoes drained
- In a soup pot heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the salt, smoked paprika, thyme and tomato paste. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute.
- Add the beef consommé, shredded beef and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the drained vegetables (green beans, carrots, corn and tomatoes) and vegetable broth. Stir well and bring to a simmer again. Remove the bay leaf, adjust seasonings if necessary and serve.
More delicious soup recipes: