This Instant Pot Turkey Taco Soup is healthy and fresh-tasting and as simple to make as opening a few cans.
What’s the difference between taco soup and chili?
The seasoning. A chili has chili powder in it. A taco soup has taco seasoning in it. I have several chili recipes on the blog but so far only one taco-style soup. So I decided to create this Instant Pot Turkey Taco Soup to be a healthier and even simpler version of the taco soup recipe I have shared previously.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
I’ve mentioned before that our family really loves Mexican-style food. My kids would eat taco or burrito “something” every night of the week if they could. So this soup recipe made them happy. And it made me happy because since I’m still trying to eat less carbs in my overall diet, soups are a terrific way to do that. The kids ate some chips and guacamole with their soup for dinner, and I just skipped the chips.
I have to talk about this meat chopper tool. This is not a sponsored post in any way but OXO sent me this gadget a while back and I just love it. It’s so easy to break up ground meat as it’s cooking and then it can be used to scrape and stir too. If you’re looking for a stocking stuffer for the cook in your life, it’s a great option!
Tips for Instant Pot Turkey Taco Soup:
- Use your favorite taco seasoning in this recipe. I usually buy the brand that is the cheapest (or on sale at the time).
- Use your favorite salsa as well. I splurge on salsa and this is the brand I use in this soup.
- Find the OXO Meat Chopper here.
- While the soup is cooking in the Instant Pot, you have plenty of time to prepare toppings – I like chopped avocado, lime wedges, shredded cheddar cheese, fresh chopped cilantro and sour cream.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Instant Pot Turkey Taco Soup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 16 oz 99% fat free ground turkey
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans drained
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained
- 1 15 oz can corn drained
- 1 15 oz can petit cut diced tomatoes drained
- 1/2 cup salsa I use Jardins Campfire Roasted
- fresh avocado, lime wedges, chopped cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream for garnishes
- Set your Instant Pot to "Saute". Add butter to melt.
- Add the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink, using a meat chopper or spoon to break up the meat as it cooks.
- Stir in the taco seasoning and smoked paprika.
- Add the chicken broth, all the canned ingredients (both beans, corn and tomatoes) and salsa. Stir well to combine.
- Put the lid on your instant pot with the seal set in the middle to "Sealing".
- Use the manual setting and set the time for 5 minutes.
- Allow the instant pot to get to pressure then it will count down the five minutes.
- I allow my instant pot to release pressure on its own. But you can manually release it if you prefer.
- Top the bowls of soup with chopped avocado, chopped cilantro (optional - not everyone likes cilantro), shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and a lime wedge.
More soup recipes:
- Taco Soup (with ground beef, made on the stovetop)
- Jimmy Fallon’s Crockpot Chili
- Creamy Lemon Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Slow Cooker Chile Verde
- Wicked Black Bean and Ghost Pepper Sausage Soup