Made with fresh blueberries and raspberries this Red White and Blue Berry Cake is a patriotic dessert that is simple, delicious and festive without needing help from food coloring.
My French Strawberry Cake was my first truly viral recipe published on my blog. It still brings me lots of visits every month and so I’ve recreated it a few times. The base recipe for the cake is so easy to mix together and I love the convenience of being able to both bake and serve the cake from the same pan. It’s a fuss-free and kind of rustic cake that everyone loves. This time I decided to add fresh blueberries and raspberries (instead of strawberries) to the cake batter for a festive dessert for all the patriotic holidays coming up – starting with Memorial Day.
It’s not that I’m a stickler for all natural food no matter what. I like sprinkles and fun foods, just not all the time. If I can make a recipe look appealing for a holiday table without help from fake stuff I do. See some more examples of that HERE and HERE.
What are some of your favorite foods to serve as we head into the warmer weather holidays? I think of grilling and picnics, salads and fresh berries. I love a good iced tea to sip on too. Again this year our kiddos will have a few days left of school after Memorial Day so while we celebrate a little bit, I’m looking for easy recipes like this cake that make a big impact with minimal effort.
Tips for making Red White and Blue Berry Cake:
- Use a 9-inch round cake pan like THIS to bake this cake
- Be sure to rinse and drain the berries well to remove as much water as possible before mixing them into the cake batter
- Be sure to beat the butter and sugar until it is very pale and fluffy (2 – 5 minutes) before adding the rest of the ingredients
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Red White and Blue Berry Cake
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1 cup fresh blueberries drained well
- 1 cup fresh raspberries drained well
- Whipped Cream and more fresh berries for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip together the butter and 1 cup of the sugar until pale and fluffy, 2 - 5 minutes. You can use a hand mixer if you don't have a stand mixer.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Gently fold in the fresh blueberries and raspberries to the cake batter using a rubber spatula. Spread the batter in the prepared cake pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake about 40 minutes, until the top is crackly and lightly browned and the center is firm to the touch.
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan and slice and serve the cake from the pan.
- Top each cake slice with whipped cream and more fresh blueberries and raspberries.
More patriotic recipes:
- Patriotic Pretzel Bites
- Red White and Blue Cookie Tarts
- Red White and Blue Sangria
- Blueberry Cheeseball
- Firecracker Chicken
This recipe first appeared on Tastes of Lizzy T.