This salad is just what it sounds like. A mash-up of a traditional 7 layer salad, but with the flavors of what seems to becoming another classic, Mexican street corn. I’d been hearing all about this grilled corn, served on the cob and smothered in a decadent mix of mayonnaise, lime juice, cilantro, smoked paprika and a feta-type crumbly cheese. I mean seriously YUM!
But corn on the cob is not yet in season around here, and we had a picnic over Memorial Day weekend that I needed to take a side dish to. So inspiration took over and I decided to turn this Mexican-style corn into a 7 layer salad. I added some marinated black beans and tender chicken breast atop the iceberg lettuce layer and topped it all off with this amazing combination of Mexican street corn flavors. Bonus, I used a bag of frozen sweet corn and simply browned it in a bit of butter in the skillet. Less mess than the cob version, still fresh-tasting and it’s portable! Everyone seriously raved about this salad, and I know I’ll be making it a lot more this summer. You should try it.
7 Layer Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 1 head iceberg lettuce cleaned and chopped
- 1 can 15 oz. black beans, drained
- 1 rotisserie chicken white meat only shredded
- 1 bag frozen sweet corn
- 1 c. feta cheese
- 1 bunch green onions white and light green parts chopped
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- juice of 1 1/2 limes divided
- 1/3 c. fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 T. sugar
- 1 T. unsalted butter
- 1 T. honey
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 t. smoked paprika
- 1/2 t. ground cumin
- 1/2 t. salt divided
- In a large, non-stick skillet, heat the butter over medium high heat. Add the corn and season with the smoked paprika and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown a bit. Remove from heat and put in clean bowl in refrigerator to cool.
- To the drained black beans, add the juice of 1/2 lime, the honey, oil, cumin and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Mix well to combine.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, juice of one lime, cilantro and sugar.
- In a large trifle bowl, place all the iceberg lettuce in an even layer on the bottom. Top the lettuce with black beans. Top the beans with shredded white-meat chicken. Top the chicken with the cooled sweet corn. Top the corn with the crumbled feta cheese. Top the feta cheese with the mayonnaise dressing. Top the dressing with the chopped green onions.
- Seal the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.