Bourbon Burgers originally appeared on my blog back in May 2013. They’re so good I decided to republish the recipe with better photos.
If you are at all familiar with my recipes and blog you know I am a bourbon fan. I live just a few miles north of the Kentucky boarder and so I’ve really learned to appreciate bourbon over the years. It’s my cocktail of choice (I like a Kentucky Mule – bourbon and ginger beer) and I enjoy cooking with it too.
So when I found this recipe for Bourbon Burgers several years ago I knew my husband and I would both enjoy it. It apparently ruined me for all other burgers for quite a while because burger recipes are woefully lacking on my blog. But I plan to start trying to remedy that this summer.
These burgers are simple in their toppings. The star being the onions, caramelized in butter, sugar and bourbon. Add a little fresh lettuce and melted provolone cheese and they are good to go. So gorgeous to look at too. Am I making you hungry?
Tips for making Bourbon Burgers:
- Find the best burger buns that you can. I usually scour the bakery section of my grocery store and found these amazing looking pretzel buns that are pictured
- For grilled burgers a higher fat content in your ground beef is preferable so that your burgers stay juicy. I recommend beef that is 80 percent lean and 20 percent fat for grilling
- As in cooking with wine, cook with a bourbon that you also enjoy drinking. Don’t use the super high-end stuff but don’t the super-cheap stuff either. I like Jim Beam white label and Bulleit bourbon for cooking
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Deliciously seasoned burgers topped with bourbon-kissed, caramelized onions and melted Provolone cheese.
- 2 pounds ground beef 80/20 - fat ratio
- 3 tbsp bourbon
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp ground oregano
- 1 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 6 slices smoked Provolone cheese
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 sweet onions thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
In a large skillet, melt the 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
Add the 1/4 cup bourbon, onions, sugar, salt and pepper.
Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are soft and lightly browned, at least 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, add the ground beef to a large bowl with the 3 tablespoons bourbon, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Lightly mix with your hands and form into six patties.
Heat grill and scrape the grates clean. Cook the burgers, searing on the higher heat side and flipping to finish cooking on the lower heat side. Cook the burgers until the internal temperature is 145 degrees F for medium rare or 160 degrees F for medium.
Add a slice of the Provolone cheese to the top of each burger in the last minute of cooking to melt.
Serve the burgers topped with the caramelized onions and fresh leaf lettuce.
Don’t miss my other bourbon recipes:
- Bourbon Glazed Kentucky Butter Cake
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Cherry Bourbon Glaze
- Bourbon Bacon Pumpkin Seeds