Summer is flying on by and the Fourth of July is just around the corner, so I thought I’d offer a holiday-appropriate recipe as my first post after the long break I just took. I catered a wedding for 200+ last weekend, and I am still somewhat recovering. I was honored to be asked to cater and the ceremony, brides, guests and venue were delightful. And yes, I did type brides. I’m in Ohio and this was a commitment ceremony, not a legal marriage between two lovely ladies who I have known as friends for years. My blog is about food, not politics, so that is why I am only mentioning this in passing. Check out my Instgram account HERE for a few behind-the-scenes shots. Some of the food I made will also likely make its way to the blog as shareable recipes, but for now I give you Firecracker Chicken.
While the chicken is grilled, it’s meant to be served cold, as it’s skewered with lots of fresh strawberries. This appetizer will please your guests looking for lighter/healthier fare. Really though, lean chicken marinated in strawberry jam and lime juice with enough jalapeno to provide some heat, and combined with fresh strawberries should make just about anyone happy. Plus it has tons of eye-appeal and a festive name. Be sure to pin this recipe for all your patriotic parties coming up!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 c. strawberry jam I used Trader Joe's low-sugar organic
- Juice of one lime
- 1 T. canola oil
- 3 jalapenos minced (seeds removed for a mild marinade)
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. smoked paprika
- In a glass bowl, whisk together the jam, lime juice, oil, jalapenos (leave in some of the seeds for a spicier marinade), salt and paprika. Reserve about 1/4 cup of the mixture to use after the chicken is cooked. Pour the remaining marinade in a gallon-sized bag. Poke chicken breasts all over with a fork and place chicken in the bag with the marinade. Massage chicken well to coat and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Grill chicken over low heat until internal temperature registers 165 degrees. Remove from heat and allow to rest on a plate for about 20 minutes to cool. Cut chicken into large cubes and mix together with the juices that have collected while it's been cooling and the 1/4 cup of reserved marinade. Cover well and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, skewer the chicken with fresh strawberries.