Crock Pot Cubed Steak uses all natural ingredients (no envelopes) to make the most tender steak and luscious mushroom gravy.
Since discovering how well microwave roux works in the slow cooker, I want to make all the gravy. Thanksgiving is a favorite meal for me, mostly because of the gravy. My Aunt and I are of the opinion that gravy is its own food group. So any time I can improve upon making a gravy or sauce is exciting for me.
A lot of Crock-Pot recipes for cubed steak use envelopes from the store. My recipe is different. It uses real ingredients, like butter, flour and beef broth. But it’s still just as simple to make. And the resulting tender steak and magically delicious gravy will have you singing the praises of a microwave roux too!
What is Cubed Steak?
Cubed or cube steak is a lean cut of beef, a top round or top sirloin steak. The name comes from the process of tenderizing the steaks in a “cubing machine”. Pounding a steak or other piece of meat, like a chicken breast, with a meat mallet, produces a similar result. Buying cubed steak at the store means the tenderization is already done for you.
Ingredients for Crock Pot Cubed Steak
- Cubed Steak
- Mushroom Stems and Pieces
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Beef Broth
- Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper
How to make Crock Pot Cubed Steak
Peel and slice an onion. Make the microwave roux. Find the complete instructions for how to make it HERE.
Into the prepared roux, whisk in the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir in one can of mushroom stems and pieces.
Into the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker, layer the sliced onions, steak and gravy. Cook on LOW heat for 6 – 8 hours, or until the steak is tender and the gravy is thick. Serve over mashed potatoes.
- I use a 6-quart Crock-Pot to test all of my recipes
- 4-cup Pyrex glass measuring cup for making the microwave roux
- Small whisk for making the gravy
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Crock Pot Cubed Steak
- Crock Pot
- 4 cubed steaks
- 1 sweet onion thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 6.5 oz mushroom stems and pieces
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Peel and slice the onion. Layer half of the onion slices in the bottom of your slow cooker insert.
- Microwave the 4 tablespoons of butter in a 4-cup glass measuring cup until melted, about 1 minute.
- Whisk the 4 tablespoons of flour into the butter and microwave for one additional minute. Whisk again. Repeat two more times, microwave and then whisk, to make the roux.
- Into the prepared roux, whisk in the beef broth until smooth. Add the crushed tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper and whisk again. Stir in the (undrained) mushroom stems and pieces to the gravy.
- Place two of the cubed steaks on top of onions. Top with half of the mushroom gravy.
- Repeat the layers: add the remaining sliced onions to the Crock-Pot insert. Top with the remaining two cubed steaks. And smother the steaks with the remaining half of the mushroom gravy.
- Cook on LOW heat for 6 - 8 hours, or until the steak is tender and the gravy is thickened. Serve over mashed potatoes.
More Slow Cooker Recipes with Beef
- Slow Cooker Steak Pie
- Sirloin Tip Roast
- Barbecue Pulled Beef
- Crispy Crockpot Pulled Beef
- Beef Bourguignon Meatballs