This recipe for Slow Cooker Curried Sausage uses an innovative method to thicken its luscious and super simple curry sauce.
If your job or maybe a hobby requires creativity, you may relate to me. My creative spark just doesn’t ignite sometimes. These past couple of years have been a bit slow in terms of recipe creation for me. But today, I’m really excited to bring you this Slow Cooker Curried Sausage. It’s satisfying comfort food that might be a bit of a departure for you with the curry. But I hope you’ll give it a try. For me, it represents a truly unique method for thickening slow cooked sauce. I haven’t seen my combination of ingredients or method of preparation for this recipe anywhere!
It all started with my discovery of microwave roux. When I use my slow cooker, I try to avoid turning on my oven. It just seems counter-productive. A simple mixture of butter and flour thickens sauces beautifully when slow cooked. And it makes for endless possibilities for the types of gravy and sauce I can create. So get ready for more Crock-Pot recipes from me, that I hope will be served by you on repeat at your dinner tables.
What you need to make Slow Cooker Curried Sausage
- Pineapple Juice – the juice provides just a hint of sweetness which pairs really nicely with the spicy and smoky flavors of both the sausage and curry
- Chicken Broth – you could substitute with vegetable or even beef broth if you prefer
- Curry Powder – there are lots of different types of curry powder, use whatever you can easily find
- Salt and Pepper
- Sausages – use your favorite, pre-cooked sausage in this recipe. I really like this local (to me) brand of Hot Smoked Sausage
- Red Skinned Potatoes
- Frozen Peas and Carrots
- Sour Cream – this is an optional ingredient, but stirred in at the end it adds a really nice creaminess to the sauce and tones down the spice a bit
- Rice – here’s a video tutorial for How to Cook Rice
What is Curried Sausage?
The short answer is sausage in a curry-flavored sauce. This type of recipe is most popular in Australia and the UK. I’ve heard it called “retro” because I think it was particularly popular in the 1980’s. Personally, I think it’s perfect food for my 2020-era children. Hungry, somewhat picky teenagers who are constantly on the go.
How to Slow Cook Curried Sausage
Wash and chop the potatoes into bite-sized pieces. There’s no need to remove the skins. Cut each sausage link in half, or cut them into bite-sized pieces if you prefer.
Make the microwave roux by microwaving the butter and flour together. Whisk in the pineapple juice, chicken broth, curry powder, salt and pepper into the prepared roux. Pour the mixture over the sausage and potatoes.
Cook on HIGH power for 4 – 5 hours, or on LOW power for 6 – 7 hours. During the final hour of cooking time, stir in the sour cream and the frozen peas and carrots. Continue to cook until the sauce has thickened and the potatoes, peas and carrots are tender. Serve the curry over rice.
- I used a 6-quart Crock-Pot to develop this recipe
- Use a 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup to make the roux
- Queen City Sausage is what I used to test this recipe
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Slow Cooker Curried Sausage
- slow cooker
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 6 oz pineapple juice
- 10 oz chicken broth
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 14 oz pre-cooked sausages I used Queen City Hot Smoked Sausage
- 1.5 lbs petite red skinned potatoes
- 12 oz frozen peas and carrots
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- Add the butter to a 4-cup glass Pyrex measuring cup and microwave on high power for 50-60 seconds, or until the butter is melted.
- Whisk in the flour and microwave on high for one minute. Whisk again. Microwave on high for 2 more minutes and whisk again until smooth.
- Whisk the pineapple juice and chicken broth into the prepared roux. Whisk in the curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Wash and cut the potatoes into bite sized pieces. No need to peel the potatoes.
- Cut each sausage in half or into bite sized pieces.
- Layer the potatoes and sausages into the insert of a 6-quart Crock-Pot.
- Pour the curry sauce over the potatoes and sausages. Cover and cook on LOW power for 4 - 5 hours, or HIGH power for 6 - 7 hours.
- During the last hour of cooking, stir in the sour cream and peas and carrots until the sour cream has dissolved into the sauce.
- Continue to cook until the sauce is thickened and the potatoes, peas and carrots are tender.
- Serve the curry over rice.