Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew will have you coming back for seconds even if it’s not St. Patrick’s Day. The stew is hearty, savory and a little sweet with a secret ingredient you might not guess.
Corned beef and cabbage is great and all but I personally prefer this Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew. It’s like a traditional pot roast but I like it even better than that. Which is kind of weird because I don’t actually like to drink Guinness. However it’s a key ingredient in this stew and in one of my favorite chocolate cake recipes.
And speaking of chocolate, there is chocolate in this stew. Please trust me on this. Something magical happens in the slow cooker between the Guinness and the chocolate and the beef. And you want to know another secret? When filming this video I made a mistake resulting in adding double the amount of chocolate to the stew. You won’t see it, thanks to the magic of editing. I was a bit concerned about the extra chocolate (it’s not dessert after all) but it was still wonderful!
Watch how to make this Guinness Stew:
This recipe clearly has a St. Patrick’s Day theme. But I truly think it’s delicious as a pot roast for any time of year. The resulting gravy doesn’t scream Irish. It’s just really, really good.
Tips for Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew:
- I use a 6-quart slow cooker similar to this one to make this stew.
- This is the brand of bittersweet chocolate chips I add to the stew.
- I serve this stew over traditional mashed potatoes. My recipe for party potatoes would also be a good side dish to go with this stew.
- This is the pan I use in the video. It is the only non-stick pan I have owned that has kept its coating after years of use.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew
- 2.5 to 3 lbs beef stew meat cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 sweet onion peeled and sliced
- 6 medium (about 1 pound) carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup Guinness beer
- 1 10.5 oz beef consommé or beef broth
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips I use Ghirardelli brand
- To a 6 or 8 quart slow cooker set on low heat, add the sliced onions and carrots.
- In a large, non-stick skillet, heat the butter over medium heat until melted. Add the beef and cook until starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour, salt, thyme and pepper over the beef and stir until coated.
- Pour in the Guinness and bring to a strong simmer. Add the beef consommé, brown sugar and chocolate and allow to simmer for a few minutes until the sauce is thickening.
- Pour the beef mixture into the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours. Serve the stew with mashed potatoes and peas.
More St. Patrick’s Day Recipes:
- Skillet Shepherd’s Pie
- Guinness Cheddar Dip
- Ultimate Reuben Dip
- Guinness Chocolate Bundt Cake
- St. Patrick’s Day Krispie Treats