Guinness Cheddar Dip is like an Irish version of beer cheese and is a terrific last-minute appetizer to make for your St. Patrick’s Day celebration.
We are actually hosting a St. Patrick’s Day party for the first time in many years so I need some good Irish(ish) snacks for the festivities. Guinness Cheddar Dip is so fast to mix together. Buy some frozen pretzels or pretzel bites for dipping and you are ready to go.
What’s the food that first comes to your mind when thinking of St. Patrick’s Day? I used to think of beer first so it makes sense to want to mix an Irish beer like Guinness into my food for St. Patrick’s Day. I like making Reuben sandwiches for a family dinner if the holiday isn’t on a weekend but I have a great Reuben Dip to try too. I’ve made a really delicious chocolate cake with Guinness before too. You can find that recipe here.
Tips for making Guinness Cheddar Dip:
- Find a good Irish cheddar cheese and shred it yourself – do not use pre-shredded cheddar for this recipe
- Make this dip in advance and allow it to chill for a couple of hours in the fridge before serving it so the flavors have a chance to blend
- Pretzels found in the frozen section of your grocery make excellent dippers for this Guinness Cheddar Dip
- This dip is great for serving at March Madness parties too
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Guinness Cheddar Dip
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup Guinness beer
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp brown (pub style) mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 oz Irish cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup green onions finely chopped
- 12 small soft pretzels baked from frozen
- With a hand or stand mixer, whip together the softened cream cheese with the Guinness, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder and salt until smooth.
- Add the shredded Irish cheddar cheese and blend on low until combined.
- Fold in the chopped green onions with a spatula.
- Place the dip in a bowl and cover. Refrigerate for two hours before serving.
- Serve the Guinness cheddar dip with baked soft pretzels.
More St. Patrick’s Day recipes: