St. Patrick’s Day Krispie Treats take a fun, childhood classic and make them colorfully festive with lots and lots of marshmallows.
Apparently Krispie treats and their many variations are really popular. My post about Oreo Krispies has been getting a lot of love on Pinterest. People are leaving positive reviews and taking pictures of their own versions of the Oreo Krispie recipe.
That particular recipe really amps up the marshmallow quantity mixed in with the rice cereal. So if extra marshmallow is popular why not mix in even more? I’ve seen recipes that use only Lucky Charms cereal but for Krispie treats I think it’s really essential to use the rice cereal.
In the case of Oreo Krispies the classic Krispie treat is enhanced with the chocolate Oreo flavor. They are really a whole new treat. In the case of these St. Patrick’s Day Krispie Treats the Lucky Charms marshmallows just kind of melt into the already extra marshmallowy flavor of these gooey treats. The colorful rainbow of extra marshmallows is there for celebration.
Tips for making St. Patrick’s Day Rice Krispie Treats:
- Melt the butter and marshmallows on the stove top and add a little salt to offset the sweetness
- Lucky Charms marshmallows are sometimes sold separately around St. Patrick’s Day – if you can’t find them you can order some here or just have your kids pick out the marshmallows from a box of regular Lucky Charms
- Once the treats are spread into the dish put them in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes so they are firm enough to cut
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
St. Patrick's Day Krispie Treats
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 2 cups Lucky Charms marshmallows
- In a large bowl, mix together the Rice Krispie cereal and Lucky charms marshmallows.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the 8 cups of mini marshmallows and salt and stir into the melted butter. Continue stirring over medium heat until the marshmallows are completely melted into the butter.
- Pour the melted butter and marshmallow mixture over the Krispie cereal and Lucky Charms marshmallow mixture and gently stir with a rubber spatula until evenly combined.
- Spread the Krispie mixture into a 9-inch square pan and press gently with the spatula to flatten the top.
- Allow the St. Patrick's Day Krispie Treats to cool in the pan for about 30 minutes before slicing and serving.