Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Chili combines the best flavors from both chili and pulled pork for a hearty meal that’s also perfect for tailgating. Thanks to the Ohio Pork Council for sponsoring this post. All opinions are mine alone.
October is National Pork Month. But I don’t need a month to remind me to put pork on our dinner menu. Pork is an economical way to feed my family, plus it’s delicious and a lean protein choice too. These ground pork tacos are one of my favorite tacos ever. Pork isn’t a usual choice for tacos, but it should be. Pork should be a more popular choice for chili too. That’s what I’m proving today with this recipe for Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Chili.
Watch how to make Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Chili:
The flavors in this chili are bold, with just enough heat from the chili powders and just enough sweetness from the BBQ sauce. I wanted to make a good “rub” for the pork, to season it while it slow cooks, before shredding it and creating a chili. The combination of ancho and chipotle chili powders, smoked paprika, garlic salt and little cayenne did the trick. I thought about adding some brown sugar, but the sweetness comes from the BBQ sauce so it wasn’t necessary. But it is necessary for you to try this Pulled Pork Chili right away!
Tips for Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Chili:
- Look for a small pork loin, just about 1 1/3 pounds. When shredding the pork, I was able to remove the obvious fat before putting it back into the chili. There wasn’t much!
- Use your favorite BBQ sauce in this chili. I put a regional spin on my recipe by using Montgomery Inn Barbecue Sauce.
- If you are opposed to cooking with alcohol, replace the 12 ounces of beer with chicken stock.
- I like to top this chili with shredded cheddar cheese and Fritos. Serving it with some homemade cornbread would be great too.
- I like a crockpot with a lid that seals, for transporting this chili for tailgating or watch parties at friends’ houses.
- Want to see how Ohio farmers are raising their pigs? Visit HERE for a virtual field trip to an Ohio Pig Farm.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Chili
- 1 1/3 lbs pork loin
- 1 yellow onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 15 oz can petit cut diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup BBQ sauce your favorite brand
- 12 oz beer
- 1 15 oz can white cannellini beans drained
- 1 15 oz can white corn drained
- Fritos and shredded cheddar cheese for serving
- Place the pork loin in a 6 or 8 quart slow cooker.
- Top with the onions, tomatoes, liquid smoke, all the seasonings (salt through cayenne pepper), barbecue sauce and beer. Stir to combine.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook the pork on LOW for 6 - 8 hours.
- Remove the pork loin to a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the meat. Remove any visible fat and discard.
- Return the pulled pork to the sauce in the slow cooker. Add the drained beans and corn. Stir well to combine.
- Place the lid back on the slow cooker and heat on HIGH for at least 30 minutes - or up to 1 hour.
- Serve the pulled pork chili topped with shredded cheddar cheese and Fritos.
More Chili Recipes:
- Crockpot Chili with Turkey
- Slow Cooker Chile Verde
- Jimmy Fallon’s Crockpot Chili
- Slow Cooker Cincinnati Chili
- Easy Crockpot White Chicken Chili
Sally Humeniuk says
Oh my gosh, I love all the ingredients in this chili! I’m trying this soon for sure. I love pulled pork and can’t say that I’ve ever had pulled pork CHILI. Yum!
So glad you approve. Thanks very much Sally 🙂
Veena Azmanov says
This is a lovely pork preparation. Looks delicious and yummy. Nice to make it for family and friends for some festive occasion.
Thank you so much Veena!
shashi at savory spin says
This is such a hearty and tasty soup – perfect for this cold and rainy day here in GA!
This cold snap is really affecting everyone! Stay warm!
Neli Howard says
I really like pulled pork and I also really like chili, but I had never thought about putting them together. It looks super good, and I am going to have to try it!
It’s really a match made in heaven. Come back and let us know what you think!
I love using the slow cooker to make pulled pork of various kinds, but have never tried it as chili – looks yummy!
Thank you Caroline. I hope you try it!
I’ve never thought to combine pulled park and chili before, but it looks like a match made in heaven!
It really is. Thanks Emily!
I really love how comforting it looks! Really yummy!
Thanks very much Toni!
What kind of beer did you use?
I don’t remember the brand, but it was a lager. Just be sure to use a beer that is not “hoppy”. I like to drink a really hoppy, bitter beer, but those are not good for cooking. Hope that helps!