Crock Pot Cube Steak uses all natural ingredients (no envelopes) to make the most tender steak and luscious mushroom gravy.
What is Cube Steak?
Cube steak (or cubed steak) is a lean cut of beef, a top round or top sirloin steak. The name comes from the process of tenderizing the steaks in a “cubing machine”. Pounding a steak or other piece of meat, like a chicken breast, with a meat mallet, produces a similar result. Buying cube steak at the store means the tenderization is already done for you. Meaning Crock Pot cube steak will melt in your mouth!
Why this recipe works
Since discovering how well a microwave roux works in my slow cooker, I want to make all the gravy. Thanksgiving is a favorite meal for me, mostly because of the gravy. My Aunt and I are of the opinion that gravy is its own food group. So any time I can improve upon making a gravy or sauce is exciting for me.
A lot of Crock-Pot cube steak recipes use envelopes from the store. My recipe is different. It uses real ingredients, like butter, flour and beef broth. But it’s still just as simple to make. And the resulting tender steak and magically delicious gravy will have you singing the praises of a microwave roux too. This is comfort food at its finest!
Ingredients for Crockpot Cube Steak Recipe
- Cube Steak – find it in the packaged beef section of your grocery store. My Kroger usually sells them two per package (usually a little over one pound of beef) for $6.99 per pound.
- Onion – one small sweet or yellow onion, peeled and sliced.
- Butter – use salted or unsalted butter, whichever you have on-hand. If using salted butter, season the gravy with a little less salt overall.
- Flour – For making my microwave roux to thicken gravies and sauces, I really like using this Wondra flour because it whisks smoothly – no lumps!
- Mushroom Stems and Pieces – If you really like mushrooms, use two (6.5 oz) cans.
- Worcestershire Sauce – adds a nice umami flavor to the gravy.
- Crushed Tomatoes – I like Rold Gold, but any brand will work.
- Beef Broth – I like using a high-quality bone broth for my gravies, but I always advocate choosing your own favorite brand.
- Italian Seasoning – I like using this brand of lightly dried herbs to save time and cost, instead of using fresh herbs.
- Garlic – If you really like garlic, add more cloves.
- Salt and Pepper
How to make Cube Steak in Crock Pot
- Layer half of the sliced onions into the bottom of your Crock-Pot insert.
- Make the mushroom gravy (see recipe card below for full instructions).
- Place two of the cube steaks on top of the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Then top them with half of the mushroom gravy.
- Repeat the layers – adding the remaining sliced onions to the Crock-Pot insert. Top with the remaining two cube steaks. And pour the remaining half of the mushroom gravy over the seasoned cube steaks.
- Cook on LOW heat for 6 – 8 hours, or until the steak is tender and the gravy is thick.
How long does it take for cube steak to get tender?
In a slow cooker, it takes about 6 hours on low power for cube steak to be fork-tender. On high power they should take about 4 hours to be ready to eat.
Can you put raw cube steak in a slow cooker?
Yes. There is no need to dirty another pan to brown cube steak on the stovetop before putting them into your slow cooker insert.
What should you serve with this easy cube steak recipe?
For me, mashed potatoes are the perfect side because of all the yummy gravy. Peas, glazed carrots, a green salad and/or dinner rolls are also good side dish choices. And I would serve banana pudding or apple crisp for dessert.
Store any leftover slow cooker cube steak and gravy that you might have in and air-tight container for up to three days in the refrigerator. Or up to one month in the freezer.
Tools to Make This Recipe
- A 6-quart size Crock-Pot is the ideal size for this recipe. A 4-quart would be fine too. You could double the size of this recipe if you have an 8-quart slow cooker or larger size.
- I have found a 4-cup glass Pyrex measuring cup to be the ideal container for making your microwave roux.
- Use a small whisk for whisking together the butter and flour in the roux and then making the gravy for this recipe.
- Always be sure to check the temperature of your meat before eating. Cube steak should be cooked to a minimum temperature of 145 degrees F. Always check your meat with an instant-read digital meat thermometer.
More Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
- Slow Cooker Sirloin Tip Roast
- Crispy Crockpot Orange Beef
- Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- Jimmy Fallon’s Crockpot Chili
- Slow Cooker Short Ribs
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Crock Pot Cube Steak
- Crock Pot
- 4 cube steaks
- 1 small sweet or yellow onion thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 6.5 oz mushroom stems and pieces
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Peel and slice the onion. Layer half of the onion slices in the bottom of your slow cooker insert.
- Microwave the 4 tablespoons of butter in a 4-cup glass measuring cup until melted, about 1 minute.
- Whisk the 4 tablespoons of flour into the butter and microwave for one additional minute. Whisk again. Repeat two more times, microwave and then whisk, to make the roux.
- Into the prepared roux, whisk in the beef broth until smooth. Add the crushed tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper and whisk again. Stir in the (undrained) mushroom stems and pieces to the gravy.
- Place two of the cube steaks on top of onions. Top with half of the mushroom gravy.
- Repeat the layers: add the remaining sliced onions to the Crock-Pot insert. Top with the remaining two cube steaks. And smother the steaks with the remaining half of the mushroom gravy.
- Cook on LOW heat for 6 - 8 hours, or until the steak is tender and the gravy is thickened. Serve over mashed potatoes.
Maria San Juan says
This looks so yummy~ Will surely make this for my family!
I’m sure you’ll all enjoy it!
That gravy is simply out of this world! I mean I can’t wait to experiment with it now. The steak is fabulous!
I know, right?! I’m glad you’re just as excited about it as I am!
I’m always looking for new things to do in the crock pot and this looks ideal – all those lovely flavours!
It’s pure comfort food for sure!
This really is the best comfort food! I hadn’t made cubed steak in forever and stumbled upon this recipe. My whole family loved it.
So happy to hear this Toni. Thank you!
What a great idea to cook this in a crockpot, a perfect family prep-ahead supper!
Yes, it definitely is!
This is such a great dinner idea and super easy to make. Thanks for the idea, can’t wait to try it!
The perfect filling and savory meal after a long work day! Love this recipe!
So happy that you love this cubed steak. Thanks for the positive feedback!
This looks mouthwatering. I just saved the recipe to cook it for my family this weekend. Can’t wait to dig in.
I really think you’ll love it. Enjoy!
This is such an easy and yummy slow cooker meal! Definite comfort food.
You can’t go wrong with tender steak smothered in gravy on top of mashed potatoes – always my favorite comfort food!
Absolutely delicious and the ultimate comfort food. This recipe will be on repeat in our house and it’s easy enough that my teenagers can make it! Thanks for this terrific recipe!
Love to hear this. You’re welcome!
I grew up on cube steak but I don’t think we ever made it in the crock pot! Genius! It turned out perfect!!!!!
So glad you enjoyed this Crock Pot Cubed Steak! Thank you for taking the time to rate and review, I appreciate it!
This cube steak is so moist and delicious. Nothing like the hockey pucks my mom used to make when I was kid. Thanks!
Haha, the hockey puck reference… I know what you mean! 🙂 I’m glad you enjoyed my recipe. Thank you!
This made for a satisfying and delicious dinner for my family! The beef was really tender and flavorful!
Awesome! Thank you for taking the time to rate and review!
We love a good slow-cooker recipe, and this is exactly that! Easy to put together, great ingredients and superb flavour! Will definitely make this steak again soon 🙂
This is exactly what I was going for. Thank you so much for this glowing review!
Chef Mireille says
Flavourful and tender……I had a few friends over and everybody was impressed. Yummy!!!!
So glad to hear this, thank you!
Ana F. says
I never thought about making steak in the crockpot but this recipe came out so good and can’t wait to make it again! My hubby devoured his dinner last night lol! Thank you!
I’m loving all these glowing reviews. Thank you so much!
Hearty, easy, and the family loved it! Definitely a comfort food hit!
So happy your whole family loved the cube steak Michelle! Thanks!