Take a virtual trip to the French countryside with this French Salad. Also learn a shortcut to making French salad dressing.
I first had a salad similar to this at the Cheesecake Factory. I’ve ordered it many times. And just recently started making it at home. They call theirs a French Country Salad. French Salad is pretty to look at and delicious to eat. The combination of beets, cooked asparagus (which I prefer to cook in my air fryer), goat cheese, candied pecans and French vinaigrette works really well together. Add some cooked chicken breast to this salad and you have dinner.
How to make French salad dressing
If you’d like to know how to make a French vinaigrette from scratch, click here to check out this recipe. I didn’t have any vinegar or olive oil in the house, but I did have a bottle of this Newman’s Own Balsamic Vinaigrette in my refrigerator. So I made a cheater’s version of this classic dressing. I mixed in a little dijon mustard and black pepper with the prepared balsamic vinaigrette. It was delicious.
What course is salad in France?
I have visited France a couple of times in my life. Often they’ll serve a plain green salad with dinner and usually after the main course and before the cheese coarse and/or dessert. The purpose is to cleanse the palate. The fresh greens and acidic nature of the vinaigrette help to prepare you to truly enjoy your dessert. This makes a lot of sense to me.
What to serve with this French Salad
In keeping with the French inspiration of this salad, here’s a complete menu that’d be fun to serve at home. Watch a French inspired movie, like “An American in Paris”, “Amelie” or “Ratatouille” and you’ve got a really fun evening in with the family – or a date night.
- I used this brand of sugared pecans
- How to make Air Fryer Asparagus
- Newman’s Own Balsamic Vinaigrette
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
- 1 bag spring mix salad
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 cup pickled sliced beets drained
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup sugared pecans
- 1/2 cup French vinaigrette dressing
- Cook the asparagus in an air fryer, or grill it.
- If making you're own vinaigrette as I described, mix about 1/2 cup of the Newman's Own balsamic vinaigrette with 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Divide the spring mix among four salad plates.
- Top each salad evenly with the cooked asparagus, beets, goat cheese and sugared pecans.
- Top each salad with a few tablespoons of the vinaigrette dressing. Serve.