Sweet Hawaiian Crockpot Chicken combines fresh pineapple, soy sauce and brown sugar for a luscious sauce to serve over rice.
A couple of months ago I discovered that a microwave roux was pretty much the perfect way to thicken gravies and sauces in my slow cooker. It works with lots of different combinations of ingredients. I am starting to incorporate it into more of my recipes. In case you aren’t familiar, a roux is just a mixture of butter (or oil) and flour. More often it is browned in a skillet as the start of a gravy. But microwaving is quicker and it works just as well as a thickener.
Check out my most recent recipes using a Microwave Roux!
What is Sweet Hawaiian Crockpot Chicken?
The main ingredients in this Hawaiian chicken dish are soy sauce, brown sugar and pineapple juice. It’s a really nice combination of sweet and salty in a velvety sauce surrounding tender chicken. Red bell peppers and fresh pineapple are added toward the end of cooking to make this a complete meal, served over rice.
Ingredients for Sweet Hawaiian Crockpot Chicken
- Pineapple Juice – I keep the small, 6-ounce cans of juice on-hand for recipes
- Brown Sugar
- Soy Sauce
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Chicken – I like to use boneless, skinless chicken breast, but you can use chicken thighs if you prefer them
- Fresh Pineapple – here’s a helpful tutorial for how to cut a fresh pineapple
- Red Bell Pepper
- Green Onions
How to Make It
- Make a microwave roux
- Into the roux, whisk in the pineapple juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Add boneless, skinless chicken breasts and the pineapple sauce to the insert of your Crock-Pot
- Cover and cook on low heat for about 6 – 8 hours
- During the final hour of cooking time, stir in some chopped red bell pepper and fresh pineapple
- Serve the Sweet Hawaiian Crockpot Chicken over cooked rice
- Garnish it with chopped green onions
- I use a 6-quart slow cooker to test all of my recipes
- Here’s the link to my recipe for microwave roux
- Visit my recipe here to find out how to cook rice (video included)
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Sweet Hawaiian Crockpot Chicken
- 1 Crock Pot
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 6 oz pineapple juice one small can
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple chopped
- 1 1/2 cups red bell pepper sliced
- green onions chopped
- Follow my instructions for making a microwave roux (recipe link is in the post).
- Into the roux, whisk in the pineapple juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Add the boneless, skinless chicken breasts and the pineapple sauce to the insert of your Crock-Pot.
- Cover and cook on low heat for about 6 - 8 hours. The chicken will be fall-apart tender and register at lease 165 degrees F on a meat thermometer.
- During the final hour of cooking time, stir in some chopped red bell pepper and fresh pineapple and finish cooking on low heat.
- Serve the Sweet Hawaiian Crockpot Chicken over cooked rice. Garnish it with chopped green onions.