Southern Chicken and Dumplings is good old-fashioned comfort food. A whole chicken is used for the meat and broth to combine with the most delicious homemade dumplings.
My recipe for Simply Delicious Chicken and Dumplings is one of my most requested recipes. It is very popular. I get hundreds of positive comments, pictures and reviews on it. It’s kind of a cheater version of chicken and dumplings though. We’ve all had a bit more time on our hands in these past few months. I’ve been cooking more. And wanting to try some new things. Boiling a whole chicken to cook it and make broth is something I have never done. Until now. I’m not going to give up my rotisserie chicken habit. But for sure I’m going to fix chicken in a pot like this more often. The chicken was so tender and flavorful. It was really clean tasting. This recipe for Southern Chicken and Dumplings is delicious.
Different Types of Dumplings
I’m focusing just on dumplings most common in North America. I am partial to drop dumplings. My dumpling dough is forgiving and easy to mix together. However if you prefer a rolled, flat dumpling, you can find a recipe for those here. Or in a pinch you can use canned biscuit dough. However since you are making the chicken and broth from scratch, I would not recommend it. And of course there’s apple dumplings. If you’re really in need of some extra comfort, you could make those for dessert.
How to make Southern Chicken and Dumplings
Add a whole chicken to a large pot with one onion, one lemon, fresh poultry herb blend, salt and pepper. You can add some garlic, celery and carrots too if you wish. Cover the chicken with cold water. Cover the pot and bring the water to a simmer. Cook the chicken for two hours. Check the internal temperature to make sure it’s at least 165 degrees F. Remove the chicken from the pot. Strain the broth. Place the broth back in the pot. Taste it and add more salt if necessary. Separate the chicken from the skin and bones. Shred the chicken. Add it to the broth. Bring the chicken and broth to a gentle simmer.
Make the dumplings. Drop them into the chicken broth. Cover the pot. Preferably with a glass lid. Add the dumplings to simmer in the chicken and broth for 25 minutes. No peeking. Once the dumplings are cooked through, top with fresh chopped parsley. Serve.
- Use a soup pot with a glass lid for this recipe
- Instant read digital thermometer
- Medium-sized scoop for dumplings
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Southern Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 small onion peeled and cut into 6 wedges
- 1 lemon cut into 6 wedges
- 1 pkg fresh poultry herb blend
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- Place the chicken in a large soup pot. Cover the chicken with cold water. Add the lemon, onion, poultry herbs, 2 teaspoons of salt and pepper to the pot.
- Cover the pot with a lid and bring it to a simmer. Allow the chicken to cook for about 2 hours. Check the temperature of the chicken thighs. They should be at least 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the pot. Strain the broth.
- Place the broth back into the pot.
- Remove the skin and bones from the chicken. Shred all the chicken and add it back to the pot with the broth. Bring the chicken and broth to a simmer.
- To make the dumplings, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter and milk.
- Add the milk and butter mixture to the flour mixture. Stir together with a spatula until a smooth dough forms.
- Using a medium-sized cookie scoop, drop dough balls into the simmering broth. You should have about 15 dumplings.
- Cover the pot and allow to simmer (no peaking) for 25 minutes.
- Top the Southern Chicken and Dumplings with fresh parsley to serve.