Creamy slow cooked shredded chicken piled high on a bakery bun with pepper and pickle relish is pure Midwestern comfort food. Save this recipe for Slow Cooker Ohio Shredded Chicken Sandwiches for all your festive fall gatherings.
I didn’t actually realize that the shredded chicken sandwich is considered to be an Ohio tradition until recently. I have published a few recipes over the years that are specific to Cincinnati. And I love Ohio’s famous candy – the buckeye. So when I found out that shredded chicken sandwiches are considered to be an Ohio “thing” it made sense for me to come up with my own version of these yummy sandwiches.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
I started with a slow cooker because that makes the meat for these sandwiches easy to serve at a party – or even better – for tailgating. Most of the recipes for Ohio chicken sandwiches call for cream of chicken soup and Ritz crackers or stuffing mix. I decided to go a different direction. A little butter and chicken bouillon flavor the chicken while it’s cooking. And crushed potato chips and sour cream are stirred in at the end to thicken and provide a creamy base for the shredded chicken.
Tips for Slow Cooker Ohio Shredded Chicken Sandwiches:
- The chicken can be made a day ahead and then reheated before stirring in the sour cream and potato chips for serving.
- The sandwiches can be served plain but I personally like topping them with a pepper and pickle relish like this one.
- Make a large batch of these sandwiches for a crowd and provide a “bar” of condiments to serve with them – cheese slices, the relish I mentioned, sliced onion, dill pickles slices, mustard, regular and gluten-free buns, etc.
- This is the brand of bouillon I use.
- Chicken broth is not necessary to add when cooking chicken breasts in a slow cooker – slow cooking steams and brings out the juices of the chicken naturally.
- The measurement of the potato chips is calculated after the chips have been crushed.
- I use kitchen tongs like these to shred my chicken right in the pot of my slow cooker.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Slow Cooker Ohio Shredded Chicken Sandwiches
- 4 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup crushed kettle cooked potato chips
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Place the chicken, butter, chicken base and salt in a slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW heat for 6 hours. Shred the chicken using two forks or kitchen tongs.
- When ready to serve, stir in the crushed potato chips and sour cream. Heat the shredded chicken on low until warmed through.
- Serve the chicken on bakery buns with pepper and pickle relish.