Tuck into a bowl of this smoked salmon chowder. The smoky flavor of the salmon pairs well with the sweet corn, red pepper, mashed potatoes and chives.
I’ve been trying to find ways to get more salmon into my diet. Salmon is a good source of Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Omega-3’s can help combat depression and anxiety. I have a history of anxiety anyway, which has been pretty well managed lately. I want to keep it that way. Plus I enjoy salmon. This smoked salmon chowder is a unique way to enjoy smoked salmon. Beyond layering it onto a bagel with cream cheese.
What is in Smoked Salmon Chowder?
Scroll to the bottom of this post for a recipe with full instructions on how to make this chowder. I decided since cream cheese is traditionally paired with smoked salmon to include chive and onion cream cheese in my chowder.
- Green Onions
- Red Bell Pepper
- White Onions
- Sweet Corn
- Mashed Potatoes
- Smoked paprika, chipotle chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Vegetable Broth
- Chive and Onion Cream Cheese
- Half and Half
- Smoked Salmon
What to Serve with Smoked Salmon Chowder
For my first time making this chowder, I served it with crusty bread and butter, plus sliced cucumbers. I have several salad, side and dessert recipes that would go along with this Smoked Salmon Chowder to elevate to a meal appropriate for entertaining.
- Spinach Strawberry Salad
- Fresh Cherry and Asparagus Salad
- Bacon and Blue Cheese Scones
- The Best Garlic Bread
- French Strawberry Cake
- French Country Apple Cake
- I like using a soup pot with a non-stick surface, similar to this.
- Use a heat-safe spatula for stirring.
- These are great containers for storing leftovers.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Smoked Salmon Chowder
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 bunch green onions white and light green parts chopped
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 can white corn drained
- 6 oz chive and onion cream cheese
- 20 oz package prepared mashed potatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- In a soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the green onion, red pepper and white onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 - 6 minutes, until the vegetables start to soften.
- Stir in the tomato paste and seasonings (smoked paprika through pepper). Cook for about one minute.
- Stir in the corn, cream cheese and mashed potatoes. Stir until everything in the pot is well blended and the cream cheese is melted into the mixture.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and half and half until well blended.
- Bring the soup to a simmer. Cover and simmer the soup for about 15 minutes.
- Break the smoked salmon into bite-sized pieces. Stir it into the soup. Serve.