Mixed in one bowl this French Country Apple Cake bakes up with a custardy middle filled with apples and a crackly walnut and sugar topping.
This French Country Apple Cake might become your new favorite cake. Reminiscent of a classic French Apple Cake it has a crumb that is sweet and custardy with a top that bakes up light and crumbly. The fresh apples pair beautifully with the toasty walnut and sugary topping. And a drizzle of salted caramel sauce provides each slice with its pièce de résistance.
Watch how to make French Country Apple Cake:
Tips for making French Country Apple Cake:
- Use a firm apple in this cake. Here’s a terrific article that details the 12 best apples for baking.
- This is the pairing knife I used in the video.
- I always bake this cake in a standard 9-inch cake pan. You can use a springform pan if you prefer.
- Use a hand or stand mixer to mix the cake batter.
- This cake will keep at room temperature (covered) for up to two days.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
French Country Apple Cake
- 1 stick (8 tbs) unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
- 2 large apples peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts finely chopped
- salted caramel sauce for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip together the butter and 1 cup of the sugar until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Fold in the apples. Spread the batter in the prepared cake pan
- Sprinkle the walnuts evenly on top of the cake batter.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar evenly over the walnuts.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan and slice and serve the cake from the pan. This cake is even better if it is still warm when served!
- Drizzle each slice of cake with salted caramel sauce to serve.
I’m a creature of habit in the kitchen. When I find a recipe I love I’ll recreate it oven and over again. My French Strawberry Cake literally has thousands of fans. So I figured I might as well tailor that same recipe to every season and occasion.
More Cake Recipes:
- French Strawberry Cake
- Peach Pecan Upside Down Cake
- Kentucky Apple Skillet Cake
- Sugared Cranberry Cake
- Red White and Blue Berry Cake
- Kentucky Butter Cake
- Chocolate Lava Cakes