These Bacon Blue Cheese Scones are tender, tasty and easy to make. This recipe is an entirely hands-off process, using a stand mixer and cookie scoop to make the scones.
I had half a package of bacon to use from my previous post for how to bake bacon. I hadn’t made scones in a while but I’d been wanting to recreate a scone I’d tried that my neighbor had bought at a local restaurant. And so that’s why I’m bringing you these savory Bacon Blue Cheese Scones today.
When looking at this recipe for inspiration I was struck by how similar this scone dough is to the dumplings I make. I knew that with this foundation they’d have to be good. Because my dumplings are so good.
Are these just flavored biscuits?
No. But the dough ingredients are quite similar to a homemade biscuit dough as well. These scones are actually easier to make (in my opinion) because they are hands off. I let my mixer and cookie scoop do all the work. And while you can certainly spread them with butter to eat if you choose, they are already flavored so additional toppings (like with a biscuit) aren’t necessary.
Tips for Bacon Blue Cheese Scones:
- A stand mixer makes easy work of making scones. This is the mixer that I own and use several times a week.
- Cold butter and cold buttermilk make tender scones.
- Line your sheet pan with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- This is the cookie scoop I use to make the scones.
- This is how the dough will look at each stage of the process.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Bacon Blue Cheese Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter cut into 8 pieces
- 8 oz (1/2 pkg) bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup blue cheese
- 1/4 cup green onions finely chopped
- 1 cup full fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet (1/2 sheet size) with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- With the paddle attachment on the lowest setting, add the cold butter pieces, one at a time, until it is mixed into the flour. The crumb of the butter and flour mixed together should be about the size of small peas.
- Add the blue cheese, bacon and green onions and mix again on low until well combined.
- Pour in the buttermilk and mix on low just until the dough comes together. Don't over mix the dough.
- Use a large cookie scoop (2 tablespoon capacity) to scoop the dough onto the baking sheet. You will get 12 scones.
- Bake the scones for 16 - 18 minutes, or until lightly browned. Rotate the sheet pan halfway through baking time. Allow the scones to cool on the pan for about 10 minutes before serving.
More Baking Recipes:
- Blueberry Bundt Cake
- Pumpkin Apple Coffee Cake
- The Best Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Maple Cream Cheese Pecan Rolls
- Copycat Panera Wild Blueberry Muffins
Leave a Reply