A slice of this Pumpkin Apple Coffee Cake and a hot cup of coffee is the perfect way to welcome Fall.
I was looking back through all my previous pumpkin recipes and decided to recreate one of the muffin recipes I’d previously shared into a coffee cake. I’m all about finding an excuse to eat cake for breakfast. Or for my afternoon coffee break. I have a terrific sour cream coffee cake recipe thanks to my Mom already posted so I figured why not add a recipe for Pumpkin Apple Coffee Cake?
I took this recipe for the batter (minus the addition of dried apricots and flax seed – cause I’m not trying to post about health food here) and changed the baking time and temp. Then I reworked the streusel recipe I use for my sour cream coffee cake (adding pecans) to be the topping. This cake baking in the oven made my house smell like Fall. Because I am beyond ready for all things Fall!
Tips for make Pumpkin Apple Coffee Cake:
- I used an 8×8 metal baking pan similar to this to bake the coffee cake
- I use a flat cheese grater similar to this for grating the apple
- You could leave the peel on the apple if you want, but I choose not to
- Be sure and use a cake tester, toothpick or knife to insert into the center of the coffee cake – if no batter comes off and the cake springs back easily when you touch the top, then the cake is done
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Pumpkin Apple Coffee Cake
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup canned pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 large apple peeled and shredded
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pecans finely chopped
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 square metal cake pan and set aside.
- Combine the flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, salt and baking powder in medium bowl.
- Whisk together the pumpkin, apple, oil, egg and vanilla in a separate, large bowl. Add dry ingredients to the wet, mixing just until moistened.
- Batter will be very thick.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- In a clean bowl, stir together the remaining flour, brown sugar and pecans. Add in the butter and stir until crumbly. Using your hands, crumble the streusel evenly atop the cake batter.
- Bake the cake for 45 - 50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean and the top of the cake springs back easily when pressed.
- Allow to cool in the pan. Slice and serve.
More breakfast treat recipes:
This is an awesome medley of flavors here. Looks delish. Can’t believe fall will be here sooner than we know.
Thank you Anvita!
Cynthia | What A Girl Eats says
Wow! This cake looks delicious! You’ve married the two best flavors of autumn!
Thanks so much Cynthia!
I’m so ready for all things pumpkin! This cake looks amazing. I love that crumb topping.
Glad I’m not the only one 🙂 Thanks Annemarie!
Heidy L. McCallum says
My husband was just chuckling the other day about Pumpkin everything, I drive him crazy this time of the year with recipes. Thanks for giving me another one to add to my collection! Yay Pumpkin Everything has started! This looks amazing too.
Happy to help contribute to the pumpkin craziness LOL
Oh, I love pumpkin and apple together. This looks like the perfect fall treat!
Thank you Jen
I totally love this recipe, so perfect for the fall. I can smell thanksgiving already!
I am looking forward to trying it!
Wonderful. Thanks Megan!
I made this last night to surprise my husband in the morning for breakfast. Wow so moist and delicious. I cut back sugar to 1 cup and threw in some chocolate chip mini morsels. This is just the best coffee cake ever.
Love the addition of chocolate chips. Makes me happy to hear that you enjoyed this coffee cake so much. Thank you for taking the time to rate and review!
Bring on the pumpkin. This cake is delicious.
So glad to hear it! Thanks. 🙂