A slice of this Pumpkin Apple Coffee Cake and a hot cup of coffee is the perfect way to welcome Fall.
I was looking back through all my previous pumpkin recipes and decided to recreate one of the muffin recipes I’d previously shared into a coffee cake. I’m all about finding an excuse to eat cake for breakfast. Or for my afternoon coffee break. I have a terrific sour cream coffee cake recipe thanks to my Mom already posted so I figured why not add a recipe for Pumpkin Apple Coffee Cake?
I took this recipe for the batter (minus the addition of dried apricots and flax seed – cause I’m not trying to post about health food here) and changed the baking time and temp. Then I reworked the streusel recipe I use for my sour cream coffee cake (adding pecans) to be the topping. This cake baking in the oven made my house smell like Fall. Because I am beyond ready for all things Fall!
Tips for make Pumpkin Apple Coffee Cake:
- I used an 8×8 metal baking pan similar to this to bake the coffee cake
- I use a flat cheese grater similar to this for grating the apple
- You could leave the peel on the apple if you want, but I choose not to
- Be sure and use a cake tester, toothpick or knife to insert into the center of the coffee cake – if no batter comes off and the cake springs back easily when you touch the top, then the cake is done
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Pumpkin Apple Coffee Cake
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup canned pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 large apple peeled and shredded
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pecans finely chopped
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 square metal cake pan and set aside.
- Combine the flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, salt and baking powder in medium bowl.
- Whisk together the pumpkin, apple, oil, egg and vanilla in a separate, large bowl. Add dry ingredients to the wet, mixing just until moistened.
- Batter will be very thick.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- In a clean bowl, stir together the remaining flour, brown sugar and pecans. Add in the butter and stir until crumbly. Using your hands, crumble the streusel evenly atop the cake batter.
- Bake the cake for 45 - 50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean and the top of the cake springs back easily when pressed.
- Allow to cool in the pan. Slice and serve.
More breakfast treat recipes: