Churro Waffles are brushed with melted butter, coated in cinnamon sugar and drizzled with caramel sauce for an amazing treat any time of day.
What are Churro Waffles?
Churros originated in Spanish and Portuguese cultures. They are deep-fried dough coated with cinnamon sugar. In the United States they’re a fun treat in the summer. Probably associated with a trip to your local county fair or a Disney vacation. This recipe combines delicious buttermilk waffles with that famous churro topping.
Ingredients for Churro Waffles
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Vegetable Oil
- Vanilla Extract
Watch how to make these Churro Waffles:
- Here’s a waffle maker similar to what I used to test this recipe.
- Use a silicone pastry brush for coating the waffles with melted butter.
- Make the batter the night before. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator and bring the batter to room temperature before using.
- Cooked waffles can be frozen. Allow them to cool and place in a Ziploc bag. Freeze for up to one month. When ready to serve, place them on a baking sheet in a 200 degree F oven. Heat until warm, then brush with the melted butter and top with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- I like to drizzle my Churro Waffles with caramel sauce. You can also top them with chocolate or homemade whipped cream.
- For a decadent brunch, serve these waffles with Southwest Scrambled Eggs and Mimosas.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk full-fat
- 1/4 cup milk
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large egg separated
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Heat waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, milk, vegetable oil, egg yolk and vanilla.
- In another small bowl whisk together vigorously the egg white and one tablespoon of sugar until soft white peaks form. Alternatively you can use a hand mixer for this task.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and stir with a spatula or wooden spoon until a smooth batter forms. Gently fold in the beaten egg white and sugar until no white streaks remain.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and cinnamon until well combined and set aside.
- Following your waffle iron's instructions and cook four waffles.
- Brush each waffle on both sides with melted butter.
- Coat each waffle lightly on both sides with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Drizzle each waffle with caramel sauce and serve with fresh raspberries.
More Breakfast Recipes:
- The Best Waffles
- Buttermilk French Toast
- The Best Buttermilk Pancakes
- Air Fryer French Toast
- How to Bake Bacon