Start the day off right for your loved one with these truly cake-like Birthday Cake Pancakes – loaded with sprinkles and topped with a powdered sugar glaze and birthday candle.
I originally posted the recipe for these Birthday Cake Pancakes back in 2014 when my son turned 9 years old. Every year since both my kids have requested these thick and very “cakey” pancakes for their birthdays. It’s a great way to start the day on anyone’s birthday but especially for kids. These are about the quickest cake-like treat you can make for a birthday celebration – no fussy frosting required.
Back when I wanted to first make birthday cake pancakes I couldn’t find a really thick, cake-like pancake. So I altered this carrot cake pancake recipe to make what I wanted. The key to a good birthday cake pancake that rises high like a cake is a lot of baking powder. One full tablespoon for this recipe that makes 13 pancakes. The batter for these pancakes is really thick.
You could top these pancakes with pancake syrup but I think they look more celebratory with a powdered sugar glaze topping. The extra sprinkles and birthday candle are optional but I really think they take these birthday cake pancakes over the top and will make your birthday boy or girl feel really special.
Tips for making Birthday Cake Pancakes:
- An electric griddle is much easier to keep the temperature consistent for cooking these pancakes – I highly recommend using a griddle instead of the stovetop for cooking these pancakes
- In order for the pancakes to rise correctly the first side needs to be fully cooked before flipping – be patient and don’t flip the pancakes until the edges are starting to look dry and you see small bubbles in the batter coming up through the bottom
- I use this size of cookie scoop for getting the batter onto my griddle
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Birthday Cake Pancakes
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled a bit
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp sprinkles
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp skim milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Heat an electric griddle to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, sour cream, eggs, melted butter and one teaspoon of vanilla.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir together with a spatula until most of the flour is incorporated. Add the sprinkles and mix until batter is free of all flour streaks. Batter will be very thick.
- Swirl a bit of butter under each place on griddle where you will be dropping the batter. Drop about 1/4 cup of batter onto hot griddle for each pancake. I used a large cookie scoop for easy release of the batter. Cook until tops are beginning to look dry. You may see a few bubbles, but batter is thick, so you may not. I think these cooked for 6 - 8 minutes on one side before I flipped them. Flip and leave on griddle until cooked through.
- To prepare the glaze, put the butter and milk in a glass bowl and microwave until melted. Add the vanilla and pinch of salt and whisk. Add powdered sugar, ¼ cup at a time, whisking after each addition. If glaze still seems too loose, add a little extra powdered sugar.
- Serve the pancakes topped with glaze and more sprinkles.
More breakfast recipes: