Fix this Slow Cooker Pork and Sauerkraut on New Year’s Day to ensure good luck in the coming year. As a pig roots forward, so will you!
Pork and Sauerkraut Tradition
I’m a born and bred Ohio girl so pork and sauerkraut is a traditional meal for me on New Year’s Day. I never really understood the connection, but in researching it I found several references to a pig rooting forward. Therefore eating pork is thought to keep you moving ahead in the next year. And I suppose if you’re going to make your own luck, moving forward and adapting to change is certainly helpful!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
How to make Crock Pot Pork and Sauerkraut
This pork can be put together and slow cooked overnight so it is ready and waiting for you to enjoy on New Year’s Day! Simply stir together the sauerkraut and seasonings and pour it over the pork loin. Cook it on LOW heat for 8 – 10 hours, until the pork shreds easily with a fork. It is melt in your mouth delicious!
Making Pork and Sauerkraut Kid-Friendly
My secret ingredient in this Slow Cooker Pork and Sauerkraut recipe is apple butter. The sweetness and spice in the apple butter really compliments the tangy flavor of the sauerkraut. It kind of tones down the overall flavor enough so kids will be more likely to enjoy this traditional dish. For purists who want that punch of fermented flavor, you can serve extra sauerkraut on the side.
- Use a six or eight quart slow cooker for this recipe.
- I used a boneless pork loin for this recipe.
- This recipe can be made up to two days ahead and refrigerated. I put my cold pork and sauerkraut back into my slow cooker a few hours to slowly reheat it before serving.
- Traditional mashed potatoes or my party potatoes should be served with this pork and sauerkraut.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Slow Cooker Pork and Sauerkraut
- 3 lb boneless pork loin
- 1 sweet onion thinly sliced
- 2 cups sauerkraut
- 1 cup apple butter
- 2 tbsp mustard can use whatever kind you have on-hand
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a large bowl, stir together the onion, sauerkraut, apple butter, mustard, garlic, soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- Place the pork loin in the crock of a 6 or 8 quart slow cooker. Top it with sauerkraut mixture. Cook on LOW heat for 8 to 10 hours, until the pork loin is easily shredded with a fork.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and extra sauerkraut on the side.