Pork Stew is a delicious and complete meal in one bowl with pork tenderloin, cabbage, potatoes and green beans plus a broth that is savory, smoky and sweet.
I have three recipes for hearty beef stew on my website. But I have not made a stew with pork until now. This pork stew starts with lean, quick cooking pork tenderloin. The pork ends up incredibly tender. The meat is complimented by onion, cabbage, potatoes and green beans. And the broth has some surprising ingredients in it. Keep reading to find out how to make this incredibly delicious pork stew.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
How to Make Pork Stew
I started by browning the pork in a bit of butter. Vegetable oil would work too. After removing the pork from the pot I scraped up the browned bits by cooking the onions and cabbage. Layering flavor in a stew is what makes the final dish so delicious. Here’s what you’ll need to make this pork stew. Keep scrolling for the entire, printable recipe with full instructions.
- Pork Tenderloin
- Green Cabbage
- Liquid Smoke
- Smoked Paprika
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Chicken Broth
- Sour Cream
- Canned Green Beans
Why is Pork Tenderloin the best choice for this Pork Stew?
Pork Tenderloin is lean and it cooks quickly. It gets very tender while being braised with the vegetables and broth in this stew. A cut like pork shoulder is more fatty. It also requires low and slow heat to become tender. This pork stew is a quick meal. And so pork tenderloin is the only cut of pork I’d recommend for this recipe.
- I use a non-stick soup pot similar to this one to cook the stew
- Use a sharp, heavy knife to cut your pork into bite-sized pieces
- Liquid smoke for this recipe
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs pork tenderloin cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 sweet onion chopped
- 1/2 head green cabbage chopped and core removed
- 2 cups potatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can green beans drained
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium - high heat. Add the pork tenderloin and cook, stirring often, until starting to brown. Remove the pork to a clean bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Over medium heat, add the onion and cabbage. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 - 7 minutes, or until the vegetables are softening and releasing their liquid.
- Add the potatoes, vinegar, sugar, smoked paprika, liquid smoke, thyme and salt. Stir well and cook for about one minute. Stir in the pork and chicken broth. Bring the soup to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook until the potatoes are very tender, 20 - 25 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir in the green beans and sour cream. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.