Make restaurant quality Mexican food at home! Air Fryer Burritos are completely customizable, absolutely delicious and ready in just a few minutes.
We eat a lot of Mexican-style food in my house. My kids never complain when I serve them tacos or burritos. I used to just microwave my burritos but the texture just isn’t it. They are always too soggy for my liking. As with so many other foods, the air fryer comes to the rescue again. Air Fryer Burritos are so good. Dare I say even better than Chipotle or Moe’s? Yes, I will absolutely say that and mean it!
Why this recipe works
I decided to fill my air fryer burritos with the simplest of ingredients – rice, corn, beans and cheese. You can certainly customize the burrito filling to your own tastes. But an air fryer burrito works because it is simple to assemble and the texture is just right. The key is smothering them with taco sauce and cheese before air frying them. The air fryer crisps up the tortilla shell, but the sauce and cheese layer on top keeps them tender enough bite into without making a crumbly mess.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Burritos
- Tortillas – I use 10-inch burrito size Mission brand tortillas
- Rice – I use Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice to save time, but here’s my tutorial for how to cook rice if you’d prefer to make your own rice
- Black Beans – Be sure to drain and rinse the beans before using
- Corn – Make sure to also drain your corn
- Salsa – Use your favorite brand, this one is mine
- Taco Sauce – Taco Bell Mild taco sauce is the best, in my opinion
- Shredded Cheese – Cheddar cheese or a Mexican style blend of cheeses are both good choices
- Lime Juice – Adds a nice flavor to the burrito filling
- Salt and Pepper
- Diced Tomato
- Sour Cream
- Jalapeño Slices
- Chopped Cilantro
How to make an Air Fryer Burrito
Mix together the rice, beans, corn, salsa, lime juice and salt in a large bowl. Fill each tortilla with about one cup of the burrito filling mixture plus some shredded cheese. Roll up the tortillas to seal in the filling.
Line the basket of your air fryer with foil and lightly oil the foil with olive oil to prevent sticking. Or use parchment paper. I prefer parchment paper liners that are made especially for an air fryer basket, but I was out of them when I tested this recipe.
Place one or two burritos in the basket, seam side down. Drizzle each burrito generously with taco sauce. Then sprinkle the top (also generously) with shredded cheese.
Air fry the burrito at 350 degrees F for 8 – 10 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted. Serve the burritos with garnishes and rice.
How long do I cook an air fryer frozen burrito?
My recipe is for homemade burritos. But I know a lot of people want to know how to air fry a frozen burrito, like El Monterey Burritos. To make a frozen burrito in the air fryer, I suggest lining your air fryer basket with a parchment paper liner to catch any filling that may escape.
Unwrap the burritos and place them seam side down in a single layer. Air fry them at 400 degrees F for about 7 minutes. Use tongs to flip them over. Then continue to air fry them at 400 degrees F for an additional 6 – 8 minutes, or until the interior is hot and registering at least 165 degrees F.
Can I make breakfast burritos in my air fryer?
Yes. I don’t have a recipe for air fryer breakfast burritos here on Foodtastic Mom currently. But here’s a recipe for bacon and egg breakfast burritos that I have tried before and enjoyed.
How do I wrap a burrito?
In case you are unfamiliar, here is a terrific YouTube video for how to wrap a burrito.
- Spanish Rice
- Chips and Guacamole
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Add ground beef taco meat or shredded rotisserie chicken for more protein in your burritos
- I use a Philips XXL Air Fryer to test all of my recipes
- Metal tongs that I use for flipping foods in my air fryer
- Parchment paper liners safe for air fryers
More easy air fryer recipes
Air Fryer Burrito
- 1 Air Fryer
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups rice cooked (I like to use Uncle Ben's Ready Rice for this recipe to save time.)
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn drained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- diced tomato, avocado and sour cream
- Microwave the rice according to package directions. Or prepare your own favorite rice to use. You'll need about 1 1/2 cups, cooked.
- Mix together the rice, beans, corn, salsa, lime juice and salt in a large bowl until well combined.
- Fill each flour tortilla with a generous cup of the filling and top with about 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Fold the burritos to seal in the filling.
- Line your air fryer basket with foil that is lightly oiled or parchment paper.
- Place two burritos in the basket in a single layer and top each one with a couple of tablespoons of taco sauce and 1/4 cup of shredded cheese.
- Air fry the burritos at 350 degrees F for 8 - 10 minutes, until the cheese on top is completely melted.
- Repeat until all the burritos are cooked.
- Top each burrito with your choice of garnish and serve.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (Amazon Associate), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on when you click to purchase.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN to Pinterest and print this recipe! Tag ‘Foodtastic Mom’ on Facebook and Instagram if you make this recipe! Also be sure to subscribe to my newsletter so you never miss a recipe.