I am most entertained by people who sing and people who make me laugh. Visit my Kitchen Music page for my current mix of faves to cook and bake to. As for laughter, I rely on “Modern Family” and “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” for my weekly dose. Though usually I’m watching Jimmy pre-recorded thanks to TiVo.
Anyway, I was looking specifically for a Crock Pot Chili recipe and ran across this gem, originally posted over at Martha Stewart. According to the source, it was from a Martha show back in 2009. I did not see it, but can only imagine Jimmy was his usual charming, funny self. It doesn’t seem fair to me. He gets to hang out with Justin Timberlake dreaming up history of rap performances and oh yeah, he can cook.
This chili is really delicious! My husband loved it because it was heavy on the beef. My kids loved it because it was mildly spiced. I did help with that by leaving out the habanero and cayenne called for in the original recipe. And I loved it because it was quick and easy. Win. Win. Win.
And really, how could I resist making a recipe from an entertainer like this…
- 2 T. olive oil
- 3 lbs. ground beef
- course salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 lg. white onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 c. chili powder
- 1 T. dried oregano
- 1 1/2 t. ground cumin
- 2 (28 oz.) cans whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped with their juices
- 1/3 c. chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for serving
- 1 (12 oz.) bottle amber beer
- 2 (15 oz.) cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Brown ground beef (seasoned with salt and pepper), drain and add to Crock Pot set on low heat. Return pot to heat, add onions and garlic, saute for about 5 minutes and add to Crock Pot.
- Add the cilantro, tomatoes, seasonings and beer. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours. During the remaining 30 minutes, add the kidney beans, stirring well to combine. Season to taste with salt.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded cheddar and more fresh cilantro.