This Vegetarian Chili with lentils could not be easier or tastier. You just dump everything in the Crockpot and walk away.
I get pretty excited when I can make a meal for my family that is both healthy and easy. Bonus points if all four of us eat it and like it. That’s really hard with a 14 year old boy and and an 11 year old girl. But my recipe for Vegetarian Chili managed to check off all the boxes.
It has lots of warm spices, lentils for protein, sweet potatoes and corn for sweetness and black beans for fiber. And there’s virtually no preparation involved other than chopping the onion and sweet potato. It can be served over rice for a really hearty, one bowl meal. The toppings make it customizable. There’s just so much to love about this Vegetarian Chili that you’ll never miss the meat.
Tips for Vegetarian Chili
- Easily make this recipe vegan by replacing the butter with coconut oil.
- If not going vegan, set out plain yogurt or sour cream as a topping.
- Chopped avocado, lime wedges and cilantro are also delicious with this chili.
- You could also top this Vegetarian Chili with Fritos or oyster crackers instead of serving it over rice.
- I use a 6-quart Crockpot similar to this one to make my chili.
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 small sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can petite cut diced tomatoes drained
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained
- 1 15 oz can white corn drained
- 3/4 cup red lentils rinsed under cold water and drained
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce I used Huy Fong brand
- 1 tsp salt
- Dump everything into a 6 or 8 quart slow cooker. Stir well to combine.
- Cook on LOW heat for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve over rice with a variety of toppings.
How Many Chili Recipes Do You Need?
A lot! Chili can be basic or creative. A variety of chili recipes means something for everyone. Here’s more great chili recipes for your Crockpot that you don’t want to miss!
- Crockpot Turkey Chili
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Chili
- Jimmy Fallon’s Crockpot Chili
- Chile Verde
- Slow Cooker Cincinnati Chili
- Easy Crockpot White Chicken Chili