Tuscan Chicken Pasta Sauce can be ready in less than 20 minutes and served atop regular or gluten free pasta for a delicious dinner your whole family will love.
I made a recipe similar to this Tuscan Chicken Pasta Sauce but turned it into a casserole dish. This sauce is much simpler and can seriously be on the table in less than 20 minutes, provided you have the ingredients stocked in your house and ready to go.
I’ve mentioned rotisserie chicken as a dinner solution numerous times on my blog. I use them all the time. They’re actually cheaper than purchasing raw chicken breasts (per pound – unless the store is having a sale) and the cooking is already done. The chicken is moist and delicious and pulling apart a whole chicken can actually yield a couple of dinners for families of 4 – 6.
I am well aware that you can roast a whole chicken at home – in an instant pot or slow cooker. And there’s definitely times and places for both those recipes too. But for a standard weeknight family dinner that is getting squeezed in between lessons and practices we need something a little quicker to get on the table. And that is what this Tuscan Chicken Pasta Sauce provides.
Tips for making Tuscan Chicken Pasta Sauce:
- Purchase a few whole rotisserie chickens at once – shred the meat and portion it to freeze for future meals
- About one pound of chicken meat is plenty for this pasta sauce
- Save some of the oil from the sun dried tomatoes to use in the cooking of this sauce
- Reduce fat and calories by subbing skim milk or chicken broth for the whipping cream
- Buy a wedge of Parmesan and grate it yourself instead of purchasing the “green can” – it tastes so much better
- Stir in the basil right before serving so it stays fresh and green instead of wilted and blackish in color
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Tuscan Chicken Pasta Sauce
- 2 tbsp reserved sun dried tomato oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 16 oz shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 7 oz jar sun dried tomatoes drained and chopped
- 1 15 oz can fired roasted diced tomatoes drained
- 1 cup whipping cream or half and half
- 4 oz Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 12 oz pasta boiled and drained
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- Add the sun dried tomato oil and butter to a large sauce pan and melt over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for about one minute until garlic is fragrant.
- Add the chicken, sun dried tomatoes, fire roasted tomatoes and juice from the half of lemon. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the cream and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to low and stir in the Parmesan to melt.
- Meanwhile, boil the pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta and reserve half a cup of the pasta cooking water. Stir in the reserved pasta water and the cooked pasta into the tuscan chicken pasta sauce.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce and season with salt to taste and red pepper flakes. Stir in the fresh basil and serve.
More delicious pasta recipes:
- Grilled Lemon Chicken Alfredo
- Thai One Pot Pasta
- Roasted Autumn Vegetable Pasta
- Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce