This Easy Loaded Baked Potato Soup is made with oven baked russet potatoes. It is pure comfort food in a bowl that your whole family will love.
I have been on a potato kick lately. I almost feel like Bubba with his shrimp obsession in the movie Forrest Gump. Breakfast potatoes for hash. Potato skins in my air fryer. My Mom’s party potato casserole. Classic baked potatoes with steak. I’ve been eating a lot of potatoes lately and can’t seem to get enough. I found this soup recipe in a Cooking Light magazine a long time ago. I made a few changes to that recipe over the years and have fixed this soup many, numerous times. As I have been going through recipe boxes a lot lately, I decided I should finally post this potato soup recipe here.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
Ingredients for Easy Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Russet Potatoes
- All-Purpose Flour
- Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Salt and Pepper
What to serve with Easy Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Spinach Strawberry Salad
- Seared Scallops
- Oven Baked Chicken
- Broiled Pork Chops
- Best Homemade Brownies
- Use a non-stick soup pot
- Potato masher
- One tablespoon of fresh chives equals one teaspoon of dried chives
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Easy Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 4 large russet baking potatoes
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh chives (or 4 teaspoons dried chives)
- 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Wash the potatoes. Wrap them in foil. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees F for about an hour, or until tender. Peel the potatoes and mash. This can be done a day or two ahead of making the soup.
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring often.
- Whisk in the milk and simmer until starting to thicken, about 8 minutes
- Stir in the mashed potatoes, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the chives, one cup of the cheddar cheese, and the sour cream. Heat through.
- Serve the soup topped with more cheese and some crumbled bacon.