These cheesy potatoes are like the classic casserole many have come to know and love but with some changes to make them even better!
I’m on vacation currently. We’re driving around Canada having some adventures that I’ll probably post about soon. But I’ve got two new recipes, an update of an old favorite and a roundup of the best grilling recipes ready for you. Well sort of. I still have to edit the photos and actually write the posts. I thought I’d be able to do that earlier this week but our first stop in Canada didn’t allow me to access my laptop on the WiFi. So these cheesy potatoes are coming to you a few days later than I’d planned.
So why another cheesy potatoes recipe? I’ve been eating this comforting casserole dish for years and years. I had never heard them called funeral potatoes? But those seem to be topped with crushed cornflakes. Mine are topped with crushed, kettle-cooked potato chips. Because what goes better with potatoes than more potatoes?
Also I’ve never understood adding cream of chicken soup to a potato dish. I like to add cream of onion soup and skip adding any chopped onion. Also I much prefer the cubed hash brown potatoes instead of the shredded variety. They have a better texture and mouth feel. So these potatoes are like the classic casserole recipe but in my humble opinion they are better. But maybe that’s just because I’ve tailored them to my own specific tastes. Which may be different than yours. You’ll have to tell me. Try these potatoes and let me know what you think!
Tips for Cheesy Potatoes:
- Use an extra sharp cheddar cheese for the most flavor
- Be sure to grate your own cheese – no shortcuts on this step
- This dish is great to make ahead – simply mix and store in the refrigerator and then bake the next day
- Use a 9×13 glass baking dish like this one to bake the cheesy potatoes
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
- 8 tbsp butter melted
- 1 10 oz can cream of onion soup
- 1 1/3 cups sour cream not low fat
- 12 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese grated and divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 32 oz bag frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup crushed kettle cooked potato chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x13 glass baking dish and set aside.
- In a very large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and cream of onion soup. Then whisk in the sour cream, 8 oz (2 cups) of the shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese and the salt and pepper.
- Fold in the diced hash brown potatoes.
- Spread the potato mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Then top the cheese layer evenly with the crushed potato chips.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 45 - 50 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue baking until the cheesy top of the casserole is bubbly, about 15 minutes more. Remove and allow to set for about 5 minutes before serving.