Slow Cooker Hashbrown Casserole is the ultimate comfort food. Cheesy potatoes slow cooked to perfection!
I had hashbrown casserole for the first time years and years ago. Before we had kids (so over 12 years ago) at a youth counselor Christmas party. My husband and I used to be counselors for the 7th – 12th grade youth group at our church and our holiday parties were filled with laughter, a legendary homemade ornament exchange and delicious (comfort) food.
Why I’m thinking about that in March I have no idea. But I was craving cheesy potatoes and so I decided to throw that hashbrown casserole in a slow cooker to see what happened. I was pleasantly surprised. The frozen hashbrowns got even more tender than cooking in the oven. And the flavors seemed to concentrate even better. This is comfort food at its best.
I figure making hashbrown casserole in the slow cooker frees up oven space when you are cooking for a crowd. Or allows you to bring this crowd-pleasing dish to a potluck and let it stay warm for whenever people decide to eat. Cheese and potatoes. You can’t go wrong.
Slow Cooker Hashbrown Casserole
- 1 30 ounce bag of frozen shredded hashbrowns
- 1 10 ounce can cream of onion or celery soup your preference
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 stick unsalted butter melted
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- Spray the inside of a 6 or 8 quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Break up the frozen shredded hasbrowns and pour into a 6 or 8 quart slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the cream of celery or onion soup, sour cream, melted butter, salt and 6 ounces of the shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese.
- Add the cheese mixture to the hashbrown potatoes and stir well to combine.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 2 - 3 hours, stirring once about halfway through.
- Uncover and sprinkle the remaining 2 ounces of cheddar cheese on top of the casserole. Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Top the casserole with fresh chopped parsley and serve.