This Creamy Chicken Marsala with Mascarpone Cheese is a delicious Italian favorite made with just a few simple ingredients – chicken, butter, garlic, marsala wine and mascarpone cheese.
Making a classic dish like chicken marsala “creamy” takes more than just pouring in some heavy cream. I have a friend whose husband is actually Italian and her suggestion to me for chicken marsala was brilliant. Stir in some mascarpone cheese at the end. The natural sweetness of the cream cheese like product compliments the sweetness of the marsala wine. Resulting in a pasta dish that is just crave-worthy. That’s how this Creamy Chicken Marsala with Mascarpone Cheese came to be.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
I’m not knocking anyone’s recipe with my declaration here. It’s just that most times it makes sense to pair complimentary foods together. Marsala wine and mascarpone cheese are both authentically Italian. They pair well together. So why not make a traditional chicken marsala even more delicious? It becomes creamy and velvety with the addition of some mascarpone cheese.
Chicken Marsala is apparently a really popular dish. It’s searched a lot on Google. I know that because I have a Chicken Marsala Casserole that gets a good amount of visits based on people’s searches for a recipe for Chicken Marsala. I love a good skillet meal and this is a great one. They are so quick and convenient. However chicken is tricky to cook safely and also get tender. I think next I’ll try this Creamy Chicken Marsala with Mascarpone Cheese as a slow cooker recipe.
Tips for making Creamy Chicken Marsala with Mascarpone Cheese:
- A digital thermometer is a must for this recipe – chicken needs to be cooked to a minimum temperature of 165 degrees F
- Flour is not needed as a thickening agent – the wine and mascarpone cheese naturally reduce with cooking
- Thinner chicken breasts cook more quickly and evenly – pounding the chicken breasts is a necessary step
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Creamy Chicken Marsala with Mascarpone Cheese
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 1 lb mushrooms stemmed and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tsps salt
- 1 tsp oregan
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 12 oz pasta cooked according to package directions
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts into smaller pieces if necessary. Pound the chicken breast to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Heat butter and oil in a non-stick skillet. Add chicken breast. Season chicken with the salt, oregano and thyme. Brown the chicken on each side, about 3 minutes each. Remove the chicken to a clean plate and tent with foil.
- Add the sliced mushroom to the same skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes, until starting to brown.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the marsala wine and simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the mascarpone cheese to the mushroom mixture.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and cook over low heat until the internal temperature of all the chicken pieces reaches 165 degrees F.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over cooked pasta.
More Italian recipes with Chicken:
- Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Sandwiches
- Creamy Italian Chicken and Noodles
- Creamy Chicken Cacciatore Stew
- Chicken Marsala Casserole
- Chicken Margherita Frozen Lasagna