These perfect oven roasted potatoes with creamy herb dipping sauce are a crowd pleasing side dish.
I’ve made oven roasted potatoes enough times over the years to know a thing or two. Each time I make them I change the ingredients and the process. So I think I’ve finally hit upon the right combination to publish the recipe and call them perfect.
To start I use three types of potatoes – red skin, Yukon Gold and sweet. I start the potatoes roasting at a lower temperature to start them getting tender. And then I finish them at a high temperature to get them crisp and browned on the outside.
Salt, smoked paprika and a little cayenne pepper provide the first layer of flavor for this scrumptious side dish. And a simple dipping sauce made of parsley, red onion, lemon and sour cream provide that WOW factor for presenting the potatoes at the table to your guests.
I’m a big fan of condiments and dipping sauces to elevate food. I mean roasted potatoes are pleasing and delicious in their own right. But add this dipping sauce and they become a side dish that is truly memorable. I served these to friends who were visiting from out of town recently and they were impressed. I mean, they’re really good friends, so they could have just been being nice. But since they keep requesting the recipe, I’m pretty confident I should share it with the rest of you too!
Tips for Perfect Oven Roasted Potatoes – with Creamy Herb Dipping Sauce:
- To help prevent sticking, roast your potatoes on a pan lined with parchment paper.
- I leave the peel on the red skin and Yukon Gold potatoes, but peel the sweet potatoes.
- I wash my fresh parsley in a salad spinner like this one before chopping it.
- I use this chef’s knife for chopping my parsley and red onion super fine
- If you happen to not like sweet potatoes, you can just roast red skin and Yukon Golds
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
Perfect Oven Roasted Potatoes with Creamy Herb Dipping Sauce
- 4 small red skin potatoes unpeeled
- 4 small Yukon Gold potatoes unpeeled
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled
- 3 tbsp vegetable or grape seed oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper add more if you like spice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper if you have it.
- Cut the potatoes into pieces about 3/4-inch in size (approximate). Toss the cut potatoes in the oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Spread the potatoes evenly on the sheet pan. Roast for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven. Increase the oven temperature to 450 degrees F. Toss the potatoes and roast for about 20 - 25 minutes more, stirring the potatoes again about halfway through to brown the potatoes on all sides.
- While the potatoes are roasting, mix together the sour cream, parsley, red onion, lemon juice, honey, garlic, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Serve the potatoes warm with the dipping sauce.
More must-make side dishes:
- Oven Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Party Potatoes
- Carrot Mashed Potatoes with Dijon Maple Sauce
- Lemon Rice
- Cheesy Potatoes