Carrot Mashed Potatoes with Dijon Maple Sauce is a delightful side dish to serve on a busy weeknight – carrots and mashed potatoes are boiled together and topped with a sweet and tangy sauce.
This weeknight dinner is so incredibly full of flavor however as with most of my recipes it is a cinch to make and contains only a few fresh ingredients to go alongside the Barber Foods Chicken Cordon Bleu. Carrots, potatoes, dill, asparagus, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, butter, oil and salt. It’s a perfect springtime, Frenchy fancy meal with help from the frozen foods section. These carrot mashed potatoes with Dijon maple sauce are so good that they can be served anytime as a side dish!
Chicken Cordon Bleu evokes thoughts of traditional French cooking, which relies heavily on decadent and flavorful yet simple sauces. So let me start by telling you about this sauce. I want to drench all the foods with it! It is made from just three ingredients that each pack a punch of flavor on their own: Dijon mustard, pure maple syrup and salt. How can something so simple taste so incredibly delicious? It’s a mystery but it’s a sauce you need in your recipe collection.
Watch how to make Carrot Mashed Potatoes with Dijon Maple Sauce:
When thinking about what would pair well with the Barber Foods Chicken Cordon Bleu mashed potatoes came to mind because I make them all the time. My son could eat his weight in them. Which is saying something because at 12 years old he’s 5’6″ and well over 100 pounds. I’m bracing myself for his teenage years when he hits a big growth spurt and really starts eating us out of house and home.
Carrots and dill are a fresh and Springy addition to traditional mashed potatoes. On their own these pale orange hued mashed potatoes are pretty to look at but they become something else entirely when drizzled with the Dijon maple sauce. Trust me, don’t skip the sauce.
The fresh asparagus roasted alongside the Barber Foods Chicken Cordon Bleu at exactly the same temperature and amount of time (375 degrees for 35 minutes). I’m a huge fan of roasted asparagus anyway but even its flavor was elevated by the tangy and sweet Dijon maple sauce.
PIN THIS RECIPE
Carrot Mashed Potatoes with Dijon Maple Sauce
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 3 large carrots
- 1 sprig fresh dill
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Peel and cut the potatoes into large pieces (at least an inch thick). Peel and slice the carrots.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and dill to a sauce pan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer the potatoes and carrots until the are both easily pierced with a fork - should take about 20 minutes.
- Remove the dill and drain the water from the potatoes and carrots. Add the butter and one teaspoon of salt and mash.
- In a small bowl whisk together the Dijon mustard, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and maple syrup.
- Serve the carrot mashed potatoes alongside Barber Foods Chicken Cordon Bleu and roasted asparagus. Drizzle everything with the Dijon mustard sauce to serve.
Hungry for more? Check out my Simple Sheet Pan Meal using Barber Foods Broccoli & Cheese Stuffed Chicken with roasted fresh tomatoes, broccoli and potatoes all drizzled with a lemon dill sauce.