I am going through family recipe boxes for dinner inspiration. My Mom’s Chili Recipe is a childhood favorite that I know you’ll love.
Growing up I knew my Mom’s chili was different. It was more like a sweet tomato soup with ground beef and kidney beans. Like really sweet. I’ve been going through her recipe boxes recently. Her chili calls for 1/2 cup of sugar! That is kind of crazy. But as a kid, I really loved her chili.
So I decided to make her chili. But alter it a bit to make it more universally appealing. 1/2 cup of sugar became two tablespoons. So there’s still a hint of sweetness. I think you’ll really enjoy my lovingly updated version of my Mom’s chili.
Ingredients in My Mom’s Chili Recipe
- Ground Beef
- Light Red Kidney Beans
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Tomato Juice
- Chili Powder
- Chipotle Chili Powder
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Bay Leaves
What to Serve with My Mom’s Chili Recipe
- Use a non-stick soup pot for cooking
- Be sure to drain the beef after it cooks
- Brand of crushed tomatoes I use
Foodtastic Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link that I may earn advertising fees on.
Thank you so much for being a faithful reader and supporter of Foodtastic Mom. Be sure to PIN and print this recipe!
My Mom's Chili Recipe
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 sweet onion chopped
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 (15 oz) cans light red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large soup pot.
- Add the onion and cook for few minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the ground beef and cook, breaking into small pieces, until no longer pink.
- Drain the fat from the cooked beef and onion and return it to the pot.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato juice, and all the seasonings (sugar through bay leaves).
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Simmer the soup for at least 20 minutes or up to one hour.
- Stir in the kidney beans about 5 minutes before serving. Remove the bay leaves.
- Serve the chili topped with shredded cheese, sour cream and sliced jalapeño peppers if desired.